The Manhatten Project

MattKaiser

Hi.

So I've had this idea for a rather ambitious TC since I started playing Fallout 3. I didn't know if it was possible, but looking over the recently released GECK I am quite sure it is.

Here's the basics of the idea:

Instead of playing the Vault Dweller from 101, why not have a completely new story, zones, NPCs and so on based on someone emerging from a Vault in Manhatten?

From what I've been able to figure out, the GECK makes this possible, enabling you to more or less toss aside the current world map and so forth for an entirely different starting area, if you wished.

Instead of being the son of James, you'd be a different Vault Dweller who leaves for different reasons.

I've already got a bunch of concepts and story ideas and NPC outlines all done up, but here's the tricky part:

I'm rubbish at the actual coding and construction aspects of modding. However, the GECK is very similar to the TES Construction Kit and I'm sure many of you have lots of experience and might possibly be interested in the challenge of help making this mod a reality.

So, what I'm suggesting here isn't so much a simple mod request, per se, but more an invitation to team up to bring a whole different story to Fallout.

Anyone interested?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So... You want an entirely new game? lol

Not really.

People have added whole new lands and areas and quests in Oblivion, and it appears to be even easier to do that with the GECK.

What I am suggesting is instead of just adding a whole new quest area, make the main character have a different opening and start in that new location instead.

I've seen mods of Oblivion that have done the same thing.

No kidding? I am also in the process of writing a story-line for this exact concept. I was thinking more along the lines of a follow-up game than a total-conversion mod. I'd be interested in working with you on this. I'm not much of a modeler, animator or texture artist yet, but I'm trying to learn. You can contact me directly at [email protected] if you're interested. I'd love to trade ideas back and forth.

I think New Yorke is a good idea because it is a very large city and would be entirely urban and that would be cool. Also to see the ruined version of the empire state building and times square would be very cool. New Yorke is good that way there are lots of well known places there. It also has a large subway system. I always thought that the buildings in fallout where not tall enough, I want to be in a deep trench between skyscrapers and fight supermutants in dark allies.

Why Manhattan?: Because of the towering buildings and monuments to man's achievements. It's like 28 Days Later where you see the streets of London completely empty. Or for that matter like I Am Legend. It's a massive city with such a dense population, it's almost unthinkable that there wouldn't be people there... like New Orleans immediately after the flooding. I'd venture to guess there's only a few places people in other countries think of when they think of the US: Washington DC, LA and New York. Of them, New York is the most culture-rich.

Plus there's the subway system that would lend itself pretty well to a total conversion.

Not my hometown (can't speak for OP). I live in Washington state.

I personally think this should be a place you can go not a total conversion. But anyway New York is definitely one of the most well known cities (I live in Canada). A barbaric barren New York would be very postapocalyptic. Plus you could have a town suspended between skyscrapers, that would be cool.

Archived