The Previous Jarl of Riften.....where?

grasshopper111

After finally deciding to complete the main quest yesterday i arrived back in Riften and got the shock of my life....Who should i find lounging on the Jarls throne but maven bloody black briar! What the heck happened to the previous Jarl? I feel guilty about this outcome, even though i wanted to support the empire.

Cheers

The game seems to be inconsistant as to what it does with the diposed Jarls. In various games, i've seen them in Windhelm, Solitude, and some random Inn in the middle of nowhere. Lately, though, it's only ever been Windhelm, so they may have fixed the problem.

As for Maven, honestly, i think she's better than that Law-giver bint. I'd take a corrupt leader over a stupid one any day. At least i know who i can bribe. And this is comming from a Lawful Good type player.

After finally deciding to complete the main quest yesterday i arrived back in Riften and got the shock of my life....Who should i find lounging on the Jarls throne but maven bloody black briar! What the heck happened to the previous Jarl? I feel guilty about this outcome, even though i wanted to support the empire.

Cheers

That's how the Empire has always operated, I don't really understand your surprise here.

That's how the Empire has always operated, I don't really understand your surprise here.

I know i'm going to regret this... but what? The Empire has a history of leaving leader in place, not replacing them with criminals. Add that to the fact that events in Markarth indicate that the Empire is more than willing to jeprodise its own supply chain for the sake of ethical integrety (Tullius had an agent investigating the Silverbloods despite the fact that the mines in the Reach are their primary source of war-funds) and your arguement -or lack there of- makes little sense.

The agent in Markarth was there to either buy or steal the deed to the mine for the Empire. I.e., it was a covert op, not an investigation. From Margret's Journal: "General Tullius is growing impatient, but I'll bring back the deed to Cidhna Mine." That would hardly jeopardize their supply chain, but would give them complete control over it. The fact that the agent was prepared to get the deed by any means necessary hardly spells "ethical integrity" to me. They didn't give a fig about "the most notorious criminals in the Reach" and their welfare, but just wanted the mine under imperial control rather than in the hands of a Stormcloak sympathizer.

Why didn't they just replace Laila with her younger son, who was a very vocal supporter of the Empire, preserving a little continuity? Granted, the youngster probably has little experience, but the same could be said of Siddgeir and High King Torygg. If the Empire did not know about the reputation of the Black-Briar family, their intelligence service doesn't have the brains God promised the goose. If they did know, then the best spin you can put on it is that they did not care, which doesn't indicate imperial concern for the well-being of the citizens. The worst spin is that those who made the decision were corrupt.

Maven is a criminal yes, but she is a much better leader than Laila Law-Giver.

Laila is incompetent and completely oblivious to what's going on, she is a terrible leader and leadership is something Skyrim and Tamriel as a whole really needs. Maven may be a greedy and corrupt criminal who basically runs the thieves guild, but she's also smart, strong willed and well connected. Maven takes care of business, Laila does not. Even while Laila is Jarl, Maven is the one calling the shots, her being made Jarl officially is really just a formality, she was already ruling Riften.

Jarl Laila Law-Giver is exiled in Windhelm by the CWGovernment quest which controls where the Jarls are exiled (I know because I've made a mod that allows you to destroy the Thieves Guild and kill/exile Maven Black-Briar after which Jarl Laila Law-Giver returns, link in my signature), their are two markers one for the Imperial siding jarls (like Balgruuf, Igmund,...) in the Blue Palace in Solitude and one for Stormcloak siding jarls (Jarl Laila Law-Giver but not Korir) in the Palace of the Kings. Hopes this clarifies things for you.

Considering Maven was the one actually controlling Riften the whole time, there's no real change in leadership. Maven just has a shiny new title and I'm guessing her house is mostly empty now. I'll remember that next time I have to do a sweep job in Riften (I kinda hate her, so whenever I gotta steal 500 gold worth of goods from a city, I always hit her place first).