Finishing Dawnguard before main quest - possible conflict?

Vulon

So I've decided to run through Dawnguard before the main story, and I was just wondering if there are any possible quest-related conflicts. Seeing as how you have to get the elder scroll through Signius' quest and all, just as in the main game for Paarthurnax. I can't imagine it being a serious issue - the way I see it, I'll have knocked out one objective early on. However, I just thought I'd make sure. I have a back-up save just in case, too. I don't want to inadvertently throw something out of whack, as I know that some of Skyrim's quests can end up conflicting and/or broken.

I don't know if it'll help you anyhow, but here's what I did, also afraid of some conflicts along the way: I waited for the moment in the game when you finally meet Paarthurnax and get to know about Dragonrend and one of the Scrolls used to "defeat" Alduin from him. From there I have proceeded with the main quest normally, finishing "Elder Knowledge" and thus getting one of the Scrolls (Dragon, I believe) that the Dawnguard needed. To be honest, I have finished Dawnguard not so long ago and I don't remember hitting any game-breaking bugs or other conflicts regarding to any of the Scrolls, so what I suggest is simply this: push the main quest as far as "Elder Knowledge", get the Scroll from Blackreach and before taking it back to Paarth to be read, give it to the Dawnguard along with other Scrolls they need - all will eventually end up in your hands and then you can either give them to Moth Priest Dexion or keep them to use one of them during "Alduin's Bane".

Hope it helps somehow ;)

Thanks. That's what I was thinking of doing as an alternative. :D

But, since I'm already at Alftand and close to the scroll, I think I'll just continue on and see what happens. I still have my back-up save just in case.

I personally finish the DLC's before the main quest line. Not sure why.. I suppose from an RP aspect of it (like I did in Oblivion)

The only quest which overlaps is the quest for the Elder Scroll in the Dwarvern Ruin. I can't really see there being a problem with it in honesty. P.S. I've never had any problems doing it this way.

You need the "dragon" elder scroll from the main quest to finish Dawnguard.

I seem to recall being sent on quests to find all three Elder Scrolls during Dawnguard and was surprised I needed one later for the main quest. Maybe I'm wrong.

• 2 months later...