AMD unveils 8000 series GPU's

What the heck?

What does this mean? What happens when Nvidia releases the 700 series and it is an improvement of 10% or more above the 600 series? What can AMD do?

I understand where AMD is coming from, after years of hardship they have something special finally, however when you stop creating the "new thing" its a sign of weakness in this market.

What are you on about? AMD has been trading blows with NVidia for ages. Sure, NVidia may have the super-duper-high-end market under it's thumb, but so what? AMD has the low, mid and high-end market.

Though, it may be different in other countries. In Scotland, AMD graphics cards are cheaper (sometimes MUCH cheaper) than NVidia's equivalent, in terms of performance and power usage.

And it's about time there was a new X670 graphics card. The 5670, 6670 and 7670 is the same card with a new number. I know what I'll be snagging, supposing that the 8670 will fall to the 6670's price.

If you guys havent realized, this is just a sales-gimmick. They are rebranding the OEM 7000-series to 8000-series, to fool ppl that are buying market-PCs

But its only for the OEM-garbage.

OEM-garbage = Only used in the "market-PC" you can find in supermarkets...

Nvidia and AMD have always done this with the lowest of the low-end cards. GTX630/640 are actually rebranded old-gen cards, etc.

The non-OEM stay as they are, but the new GPUs they are going to release in a few months will most likely have a different name than "8000-series"...

Edited by kalikka

What are you on about? AMD has been trading blows with NVidia for ages. Sure, NVidia may have the super-duper-high-end market under it's thumb, but so what? AMD has the low, mid and high-end market.

Though, it may be different in other countries. In Scotland, AMD graphics cards are cheaper (sometimes MUCH cheaper) than NVidia's equivalent, in terms of performance and power usage.

And it's about time there was a new X670 graphics card. The 5670, 6670 and 7670 is the same card with a new number. I know what I'll be snagging, supposing that the 8670 will fall to the 6670's price.

I don't think you even bothered to look at the link.. I am not bashing AMD in anyway I am pointing out a fact, their new cards are the same as the last generation and you would be foolish to pay a premium for what is simply a re-branding..

Harshness not intentional.

I didn't know OEM parts would simply be re-branded. I though most tech companies OEM were just lower quality versions of the new ones.

Edited by Dan3345

I don't think you even bothered to look at the link.. I am not bashing AMD in anyway I am pointing out a fact, their new cards are the same as the last generation and you would be foolish to pay a premium for what is simply a re-branding..

Harshness not intentional.

I didn't know OEM parts would simply be re-branded. I though most tech companies OEM were just lower quality versions of the new ones.

The same as the previous generation? I am most likely not seeing the same pages that you are.

Hmm, must have mis-interpreted your post then. Thought I read some hate in there. My apologies.

That's not the 8000 series, that's the OEM series.

E.g. most lower-end OEM 600 series Nvidias are 400 or 500 series under their skin, same with 300 series, same with 6000.

Actual 8000 series are still coming as expected 2nd quarter '13.

It's about the 4th time I hear of this in the last 2 days, so pretty sure you found an article on a third party website rather than just stumbled across it. Not sure why they decided to make this a story.

That's not the 8000 series, that's the OEM series.

E.g. most lower-end OEM 600 series Nvidias are 400 or 500 series under their skin, same with 300 series, same with 6000.

Actual 8000 series are still coming as expected 2nd quarter '13.

It's about the 4th time I hear of this in the last 2 days, so pretty sure you found an article on a third party website rather than just stumbled across it. Not sure why they decided to make this a story.

I was actually lurking AMD's site myself in hopes of finding some news from CES, and found this. I didn't know AMD rebrands cards for OEM, I thought they would make something new :/