Oblivion Mod Install Help

Theme57

Also whats the mod that makes everything look really nice and makes the text in the menu smaller

Also whats the mod that makes everything look really nice and makes the text in the menu smaller

That's at least two mods. The menu mod is called Darnified UI : http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/10763

I use it and I like it. :)

Making everything look nice is several possible mods. What you're looking for are what are called texture mods and model mods.

I really like Qarl's Texture Pack III. It took me some work to get my install tweaked enough to run well with it.

You can surf through the forums for recommends and find out what problems you might run into for each mod you decide to run.

You can surf the top rated mods in the Models and Textures section of the nexus. http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/searchresults/?cat=29

As per Striker879's advice, add one at a time, play for a while, and if it breaks stuff, you'll know where to start looking for the problem.

There are so many mods for Oblivion that you can nearly remake the game every 6 months if you wanted to.

Have fun.

Thats why I got the game haha :D

funny though, I played skyrim and liked it to a point, but felt like something was missing. I watch and hear the oblivion startup screen since the last time I saw it back in 2008 and feel like, "oh my god its good to be back!" Something about oblivions feel, looks, combat and all that just make it really enjoyable to me. Skyrim feels very combat based while oblivion really feels like a story haha. I cant wait to install some of these mods!

You do not have to restart the game every time you add a mod. And since you cannot install a mod while inside the game - you can nearly always 'restart' from where you left off in the game after adding a mod - My recomendation - go to a safe location in the game and make a save - any interior cell that has not been modded will do - the safest place in game is the lobby of the Tiber Septum Hotel ( you may see some odd things there if you disable a mod as that is where anything lost respawns in game)

Most of the time it really doesn't matter unless the mod changes the cell you are in at the time. If you do change something important in the cell, you may have to go back to an earlier save if it crashes.

That was my point in wanting you to make a save just after exiting the sewers, before you go to the Market District to make your 'mod testing save'. When you add your first mod you use the Market District save to test it. If it works OK there you exit the game and when you reload it you load your sewer exit save.

Let's say you plan on delivering the amulet right away ... so from the sewer exit you go to Chorrol and find Jauffre. Then you decide you want to try out 'JoesReallyReallyCoolUberSword' mod. You save after seeing Jauffre (remember always in a new slot), exit the game and install JoesReallyReallyCoolUberSword. You start the game and load your Market District save (and it turns out, like 99% of other modders Joe put his sword at the foot of a statue in the Market District). You go find the sword and decide, ya ... this really is a cool uber sword. You don't save, exit the game and restart, this time loading your 'after seeing Jauffre save'. You say to yourself, "You know, Joe's uber sword might come in handy when I go to Kvatch to find this Martin guy ... maybe I'll swing thru the Market District on my way to Kvatch". Or maybe you say to yourself "You know Joe's uber sword is so powerful it might make the finding Martin mission too easy ... think I'll wait and grab it after I go to Kvatch". You don't need to worry, except under the circumstances that a fight breaks out in the Market District (and your character would need to be very close to the Market District for that to happen) and one of the unarmed NPCs needed a sword ... Joe's uber sword will be sitting there on the ground in front of that statue long after the Oblivion Crisis is over and you're the head of all the guilds if that's what you chose to do. I generally pick up stuff like that and then stick it in one of my houses, where I can safely forget about it (guess that's what happens when you prefer to enchant all your own gear).

The short version is you have a save which you use to continue you character's journey through Cyrodiil, and you have a save which you use for testing mods. When you find a mod that breaks your game (notice I didn't say 'if' ... given time you will find one) all you need to do is exit the game, remove the mod completely and your character's save is completely untouched.

You do not have to restart the game every time you add a mod. And since you cannot install a mod while inside the game - you can nearly always 'restart' from where you left off in the game after adding a mod - My recomendation - go to a safe location in the game and make a save - any interior cell that has not been modded will do - the safest place in game is the lobby of the Tiber Septum Hotel ( you may see some odd things there if you disable a mod as that is where anything lost respawns in game)

Most of the time it really doesn't matter unless the mod changes the cell you are in at the time. If you do change something important in the cell, you may have to go back to an earlier save if it crashes.

If theme57 wants to use the mod, then the game has to be restarted. As in, you have to exit, install the mod, enable it, and launch the game again. I wasn't suggesting that the game had to be started from a new character creation.

Edited by talveren