Limited User even as Administrator

WhiteGandalfs

Hallo,

i've recently installed OBMM 1.1.12.0. Since i run a system (win XP) with sophisticated rights configuration, i installed it as admin.

Installation went through without problems.

First start went through without problems: The full GUI was available, the current configuration correctly displayed.

From the second start onwards - independent from the account i run it from - the OBMM keeps thinking that it runs in a limited user account.

Administrator on my system has full access in the file system, so file access is impossible to be the cause of this behavior.

Despite this assumption, i have verified with sysinternals procmon that file access for sure has no restrictions.

So the resulting question: Has somebody an insight into the code of OBMM to give me e hint for what reason may be causing OBMM to insist being limited?

I know so far, that OBMM tests for file system rights by creating a directory named "limited" in its obmm folder.

Since creating this directory offers no problem (sysinternals shows no access denied), there MUST be some other additional test other than in the file system, which does not rely on some "access denied", but on ANYTHING other. But what?!

What can/should i do to satisfy OBMM?

My ideas so far: Since the very first run went through without problems, it MUST be anything within the file system OR the registry (persistently stored), and it MUST be something that was CREATED AFTER the very first startup or shutdown.

===============

Well, faster answered than questioned: IT WAS that damned test folder "limited"! If that folder STILL exists after shutdown (thus BEFORE the next start), OBMM does not try to delete it or RE-create it, but only tests for being able to create it anew out of thin air - what did fail on my system, since i tried to satisfy him for running under limited user account by recreating this test folder manually.

Now, i changed the rights under the obmm subfolder for normal users to be able to create/delete directories (to create/change/delete files+folders in the relevant SUB-folders was already setup, but had not been the base of the rights test).

Now it runs even with a limited user account.

Edited by WhiteGandalfs

Good to know WhiteGandalfs. I'm a Win XP dinosaur myself using a power user account for normal use and upgrading it to full admin when installing under that profile. My solution to OBMM not running under the power user log-in was to set the desktop shortcut to 'Run as ...' so that it prompts for an admin log-in. I'm not sure if it's because I use a power user account for my normal account as opposed to a limited user account, but I don't see any 'limited' folder in my OBMM folder. I didn't consider just changing permissions to get around the admin log-in requirement.