localized tg?

I figured this might be the best place to ask, since you folks dig deeper than most of us newbs.

when placing a large tent, a pair of sleeping bags, or a hay pile, or a hay pile and a sleeping bag are auto-placed.

However, any grass features end up poking through the sleeping accommodations unless you get lucky or camp on a bare patch. It's not end-of-the-world stuff, but it's definitely "immersion" breaking. If nothing else, a sleeping bag or hay pile ought to "crush" any grass under foot. And while I wouldn't expect to only have the bag or pile area be affected, it'd be nice to do it to the "tent area" or "camp area" automatically when a tent is place and have most of the world still viewable as "normal" (w/grass features)

I'm wondering if some sort of localized toggle-grass can be applied to the sub cell in which the tent space resides, either by making some new tent mod that includes it (via creation kit), or even by using a console command.

thanks.

You'll need to use the landscape editor to edit the textures around the tents. Just bear in mind that some mods may affect this and overwrite your changes. They should just be placed above your esp in player load orders.

To do this open up the landscape editor. (the icon is near the top left and looks like mountains and sky). With it open click anywhere in the exterior cell and type 'i'. This will bring up a list of all the textures used in each of 4 quads that make up the cell. If you're not sure where the cell boundaries are, type 'b'. this shows yellow boundaries around each cell.

Once you've got the texture info screen up, the top left list is the north west quad and the bottom right is the south east quad. If there are 6 textures listed for the quad/quads that your tent is in, you can't add any more. 6 is the maximum allowed in any one quadrant.

If there are fewer than 6, just look for any texture that is reasonable and has 'NoGrass' on the end. So, for instance if your tent is on the tundra, you will want something like 'Ltundra01NoGrass'. This will blend in with the other textures in the cell. To totally eliminate the grass, use max opacity setting 100. Use right click and the smallest radius on the tool and just 'paint' over the area around the tent. Voila! Grass gone. Around the outside of the tent, you can drop the max opacity to something like 10% to 20% and just 'dab' the landscape around the tent by quickly right-clicking. This will then merge your no grass texture better with the landscape around the tent.

if there are already 6 textures in the quad/quads you need to edit, look for the texture that is used the least or will be least noticed if replaced with your 'NoGrass' texture. Delete it from the list to free up a space for your new texture. Do as outlined before. You may also have to paint your 'no grass' texture over the areas where the texture was that you deleted, or you'll end up with the default horrible brown texture in patches.

Hope that's clear.

Sorry, Ghaunadur, it is entirely possible. I've done it. I've given the method used. Check my mod Shades Of The Rift, If you like. Here, I remove and adjust textures in a vanilla cell. It works. Not sure why you say it's impossible when \i've done it.

Sorry, Ghaunadur, it is entirely possible. I've done it. I've given the method used. Check my mod Shades Of The Rift, If you like. Here, I remove and adjust textures in a vanilla cell. It works. Not sure why you say it's impossible when \i've done it.

Please re-read the opening post. The OP wants to remove grass at a particular spot when a tent or bedroll is placed there, and add it again when removed, dynamically. I guess it's for a camping mod. This is not possible.

The method you're describing is the process of changing ground texture at a fixed spot with the Creation Kit. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not what the OP is trying to do.

Please re-read the opening post. The OP wants to remove grass at a particular spot when a tent or bedroll is placed there, and add it again when removed, dynamically. I guess it's for a camping mod. This is not possible.

The method you're describing is the process of changing ground texture at a fixed spot with the Creation Kit. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not what the OP is trying to do.

Well, either remove it or somehow squash it. But yes, temporarily. The idea would be to upgrade placed tents so that when placed, any foliage where the tent resides would be suppressed in some manner.

Oh well, it was worth a question anyway. I just thought that maybe there was a way to place a layer over a subcell that would override any features on it (including not only grass, but any shrubbery and flowers as well), because there are already so few areas where tents can successfully be deployed and those few are often full of grass and other "distractions") << my total ignorance of how the world is constructed I suppose.

Thanks for "dashing my hopes" ;) But seriously,, thanks for clarifying how things work. Works better than me chasing a phantom.

Yep. I mis-understood the original post. It happens. it's a really nice idea, though.