Dirty Skyrim

Lehcar

Really, one thing I can't understand about Skyrim is... what in the world is up with all the filth?! There's so much dirt everywhere; skin, hair, clothing, furniture, etc. I know they wanted to make Skyrim seem more "wild" and less civilized than Cyrodiil, but I think they did a good enough job of that without making everything dirty.

Skyrim and the Nords are supposed to be based on Scandinavia, and that's why I actually find this rather offensive, since my own family comes from that part of the world. The ancient Norse people were NOT a bunch of dirty savages like Bethesda apparently thinks... in fact, cleanliness was a very important aspect of life; they brushed their hair every day, bathed, and kept their clothes laundered. They were actually far more hygienic than most people of Europe. Do your homework next time, Beth. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/wallbash.gif

Luckily people have made textures to clean up skin and hair. Hopefully there'll be more in the future to fix all the grimy clothes and furniture... bleh.http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/sleep.gif

Edited by Lehcar

They had every opportunity, they simply chose not to for religious reasons. TES isn't really a true medieval analogue; it's more like a stew of different eras of human history, with a lot of magic and fantasy tossed in. But in 200 years, religion doesn't seem to have changed at all, aside from the controversy over Talos... everyone still worships the same old Aedra and Daedra, it seems, so there's no apparent reason for everyone to stop cleaning.

I'm with Lehcar on this. Besides, it's a fantasy game and in my fantasies people are clean, the women are all beautiful, and the men are rugged and heroic. (I read all of the original Conan paperbacks nearly 50 years ago with the original Frazetta cover art) One of the first mods I Installed was one to clean people up. :thumbsup:

I like Skyrim Dirty it makes the game as you would say..."Darker and Edgier".

Plus Medieval times were kinda dirty, and before you say "But why no cleaning spells!?", i'd like to point out that Nords in Skyrim don't even like magic.

You should also notice that places with "high class" societies and magical societies tend to be pretty clean (Palaces, Altmer homes, college of winterhold, etc)

By the way, not all fantasy games are the same. The "dark and gritty" type of Fantasy is starting to become more popular then "Teenagers wielding giant swords bigger then their entire bodies" type of Fantasy.

I can see where some individuals would be covered in grime like smiths, bandits out in the wild, poor peasants or farmers to some extent. But you'd think that the court of Jarl Elisif would have some standard of hygiene. There's plenty of water, wood for fire and I'm sure they must have the technology to make some kind of soap. There's no reason why they can't take a minute to splash some water on their face. People are vain by nature, especially lords, ladies and merchants. I would expect upper class people to put some effort into appearing clean.

From my understanding of history, medieval Europeans were reasonably fastidious about cleanliness. It wasn't until around the 14th or 15th century that they feared bathing was a cause for the plagues and bath houses were shut down.