[REQ] AR-15/M-16 mesh/texture

einherjrar

Can we have an optional version with just the grips and no rails on them?

If I have my way, the final version should have NO rails at all.

No rails, no rail covers, no telescoping multiposition stock.

I'd be willing to negotiate on any of these points if you or anyone can find me a decent skin and put me in direct contact with whoever the artistic/intellectual rights belong to.

I'm going to send out another set of PM's on a different counterstrike modding board later tonight I think.

Actually...

**just checked inbox** - no replies from any of my previous requests to unpack skin mod. :(

=============================================================

I'm gonna lay this all out here: If I do not receive permission (which I can't do if I can't contact the author(s)), I can't use some of the best models out there.

Maybe I should be showing you guys what I'll be working with if I can't get permission to unpack a (lets say CounterStrike) mod...

Below are absolutely FREE MODELS! I can do most anything I want with them (publishing-wise).

See if you can guess why they're free!

#1 - great model, but NO TEXTURE! Except for the 60's and 70's era heatshield (handguard), this is what I would want the model to look like. If anyone out there can create a texture worth half a damn, PM me!

EDIT: Having trouble doing much with model #1 here. There are literally thousands of vertices, which is a few thousand too many. Won't export/import.

EDIT2: Did I say thousands? it's tens of thousands. This model is unusable for me.

#2 - :down: no kidding?

#3 - :sick: no, No, NO!

If you are looking for FREE models, here are some more to choose from:

M16-A2+M203.zip by Jonfletc

Format: .max

Colt M16 (Redesign) by Cloudskipper

Format: .blend

Colt M16A1 Assault Rifle by rossmum

Format: .gmax

M16_CAR15_fbx.zip by Tim Leydecker

Format: .obj, .ma, .fbx

NOTE: Insane high poly detail (EDIT: Looks like einherjrar has this one already listed)

m16.obj by abacus1

Format: .obj

NOTE: Insane low poly detail

If you are looking for FREE models, here are some more to choose from:

M16-A2+M203.zip by Jonfletc

Format: .max

Colt M16 (Redesign) by Cloudskipper

Colt M16A1 Assault Rifle by rossmum

Format: .gmax

M16_CAR15_fbx.zip by Tim Leydecker

Format: .obj, .ma, .fbx

NOTE: Insane high poly detail (EDIT: Looks like einherjrar has this one already listed)

m16.obj by abacus1

Format: .obj

NOTE: Insane low poly detail

Super nice of you to lend your attention to this project. :thanks:

Truly, I am humbled. :closedeyes:

Great models. I had looked on that very site, but didn't come across many of those (I put 'm16' and 'free' into their search box, go figure).

The M16a1 model is about as good as I could hope for... but it's a .GMAX file. :wallbash: NOOOOOO.

I can't find any plugins for milkshape, autodesk, or nifskope to import .Gmax files! WHY GOD?

Two hours wasted hunting for a plugin that doesn't exist for a file whose parent software has been dead for years.

Either god hates me, or he really doesn't like me modding.

I feel like king midas, only in reverse; everything I touch turns to garbage.

Still plugging away at this thing. obvious setbacks. deadline extended until I can *@#$%$% pull this *%^$ together into a useable mod. Pray that I don't get impatient. Or I may have to settle for: :sick: (see attached).

UPDATE! Some great news, and some...other news.

GREAT NEWS;

big kudos again to LHammonds for his links to usable material which led me to a fantastic model this morning! I'll certainly be adding his name to the credits (talent agent) for what probably saved me a few days, or at least hours, of fruitless online searches. :thanks:

Now, the great news(!):

I have been able to import the above mentioned model into the game. Because this model was freely released, I will be able to release this mod to the community.

It's a nice image, an M16a2 or more recent style 3dmodel (notice Handguard/Heatshield)

I REPEAT, A MODEL HAS BEEN SELECTED. :thumbsup: Now I can get down to business.

See attached image.

OTHER NEWS;

They're saying that Portland, Oregon (which is where I live) is experiencing the worst snow and ice coverage in something like 40 to 80 years. Our weather may be bearable for someone who just moved into a modern home and previously lived in Colorado, but even with close to a week of warnings, many residents were woefully underprepared, and some (like me) are trapped in our homes (for vehicles anyway, yes: even with tire cables/chains).

I telephoned my roommates who abandoned our house to stay with relatives right after the first snow settled but before the second wave could move in on us (which was nearly a week ago); We were all sick with the same symptoms (sore throat, sinus congestion, aching joints), but they recovered days ago, and I'm getting progressively worse.

So, for sake of my own health, I have to abandon my house and everything inside of it for what I hope will only be a few days while I stay with a friend who has central heating and is close to the doctor and pharmacies. Where I am right now it'd be close a mile of walking/hiking through a foot of snow and packed ice (which would be tough with how sick I am) from where I am now just to reach a bus stop, and some bus routes are closed 100% to all vehicles.

I want to apologize to anyone who might have been thinking that I'd have this released by now, but I am still very, very fresh to 3ds autodesk, milkshape, Nifskope, and photoshop, and there is not a great amount of modeling support for FO3 yet (I'm in awe of what some people had to do with HEX CODE :verymad: ).

Still, I think more than anything, my own insecurity and lack of familiarity with what I'm doing is going to prevent me from carving a deadline in stone. After I found the model it took a mere fraction of the time it did before to import into the game and line up the animation blocks/nodes.

SUMMARY (for those who dislike reading):

:thanks: LHAMMONDS IS A GOD, AND LINKED ME TO A MODEL I WILL RELEASE FOR M16A2!!!!!!! MAD THANXORZ*10!

:dry: MOD POSTPONED AGAIN, AUTHOR FEARS FOR LIFE, IS EVACUATING TO NEARBY VAULT (apartment).

:blush: I'll still check this thread at least once a day to answer any questions.

Honestly, that's a really good looking model down there.

FYI - It is best you do not include the word "free" in your search as it is prone to needless errors.

When you visit the Search Page, place a zero in the "Max Price" field and what you want to search for in the "Include Keywords" field. Using as many variations and common mispellings is a good idea as well as looking at author profiles that provide good models for free.

Regarding GMAX, you have to export the model in NIF format to get the model into other programs. Looks for GMAX here on TESNexus and I have the files and install dox on how to get it working with the plugin.

EDIT: Here is the GMAX model converted into .blend format.

LHammonds

I looked through my collection and found some others:

M16A2 by BombShellDesign

M16-A2 by Jonfletc

M-4A1 by BombShellDesign

M4A1_Carbine by V1nce

M4 by Blaxsaw

Oh cool! Does this mean we get to use the old triangle grip version?

I think those look awesome.

Could be. Lhammonds keeps linking me good stuff. I've found a very good model that'd be very releasable.

I like the more cylindrical/conical handgaurds of the A2 personally. If demand is overwhelming enough for one 'look' over another, I'll use that. Everything hangs on finding a model that I have permission to repack/alter/import and release to the public.

If you have a particular version in mind, find a free version of it and drop a link for the downlad site, or if it's not freely released, I'd have to be put into direct contact with the author(s). There are several free models I have to choose from (+several more than I would hae otherwise thanks to Lhammonds).

I try to be aware of what people are expecting or will be desired, but if the quality of the models I have to work will suffer because of superfluous details, another model will simply have to be selected. You can help me out with finding usable models in the style you'd like, and if it's better than what I would otherwise use, then I'll absolutely use that for the final mod.

I looked through my collection and found some others:

M16A2 by BombShellDesign

M16-A2 by Jonfletc

M-4A1 by BombShellDesign

M4A1_Carbine by V1nce

M4 by Blaxsaw

more good stuff I'm sure, I can't view right now on laptop, cause it sucks.

:thanks: again!

UPDATE; BETA release of the M16 mod.

Model is very nice( :cool: ), Texture needs a serious facelift ( :sick: ).

:ninja: Link to DOWNLOAD Page; :ninja:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2408

:ohmy: Is this where I shamelessly plug for kudos? :ohmy:

Screenshots are up, download link is up, please feel free to comment or opine over features you want in the comment box. Please remember to rate appropriately.

This BETA mod is still very much plain jane, but it's fully functional and playable.

Replaces the Vanilla Assault Rifle with an M16 (new mesh/texture, old sounds/game mechanics).

please let me know if it doesn't work; This is my first upload to this site and it could have gone smoother.

EDIT: I apologized on the download page, and I'll repeat it here;

I'm really sorry my screenshots turn out so dark, the environment I'm taking the pictures in is much brighter ingame, so I sometimes will turn out a ton of screens in different positions/angles, and then find that a considerable number of them are too dark to see any detail. I don't know why that is, I'll have to invest in one of those 'simulated daylight piplight' mods.

Archived