Problems starting TG09Post quest after TGDestroy

bruce142

I made a part where the player could join the Nightingales after they have destroyed the Thieves Guild with my mod (I need to implement this yet but first I have to solve this issue). I succesfully duplicated the Trinity Restored quest (and deleted the dialogue lines about Mercer still living and Brynjolf's dialogue lines, I even edited some dialogue lines which were contradicting to the situation (eg. "both" and "two others" were only you joined the Nightingale order), tested even if this didn't caused problems with the vanilla TG storyline (which you can still play even if you have installed my mod) and didn't find any issues whatsoever (the minor issues I encountered I fixed succesfully). After the duplicated Trinity Restored quest "Hunted by Shadows", quest TG09 triggers (I did set Brynjolf to optional and allow dead) and also here are no problems at all. You can play the quest all the way to the scene with Nocturnal and can finish the quest by talking to Karliah.

But then when the scene should start between Gallus and Karliah the quest TG09Post doesn't trigger (I've done the same thing with this quest as I did with the TG09 which worked : set Brynjolf to optional and allow dead, I can't find any conditions that block the start of this quest so this is a complete mystery to me). The stage 200 of the quest TG09 sets TG09Post to stage 10, but when I type the command : Player.sqs TG09Post and try even manually setting stage 10 by Setstage TG09Post 10, the stage list of TG09Post looks like this :

Stage 0 : 0

Stage 10 : 0

Stage 20 : 0

Stage 30 : 0

Stage 200 : 0

I did check for alias fill errors, by setting all aliases of this quest to optional and I get the same result. Only when playing the whole TG quest the TG09Post quest triggers (checked with my other character), which is strange because there are no conditions that block the triggering of TG09Post and I've checked the Use Info and no other TG scripts or quest than TG09 (which works) are linking to TG09Post. I even checked the source scripts of this quest.

Any ideas?

Things got even weirder, when I just do the quest tg09 (and no other tg quests) with the console command setstage tg09 10 after adding the skeleton key and the perk, the tg09post quest works. Brynjolf is still alive true, but remember I've set Brynjolf to optional & allow dead so Skyrim should skip him if it can't fill this alias. I will try to activate tg09post directly by using setstage tg09post 10 before and after killing Brynjolf and report the results. Even weirder is when I type the command player.placeatme 0001B07D (Brynjolf's Base ID) 1 just before the completion of quest tg09 and thus the start of quest tg09post (when playing first the Hunted by Shadows quest), the tg09post quest don't start.

Edit : when typing setstage tg09post 10 before killing Brynjolf, it works but when typing setstage tg09post 10 after killing Brynjolf it doesn't work. Normally I would say that this is caused by an alias fill error but since I set TG09PostBrynjolf's Alias to optional and allow dead, this is a Skyrim vanilla bug.

Edited by bruce142

Things got even weirder, when I just do the quest tg09 (and no other tg quests) with the console command setstage tg09 10 after adding the skeleton key and the perk, the tg09post quest works. Brynjolf is still alive true, but remember I've set Brynjolf to optional & allow dead so Skyrim should skip him if it can't fill this alias. I will try to activate tg09post directly by using setstage tg09post 10 before and after killing Brynjolf and report the results. Even weirder is when I type the command player.placeatme 0001B07D (Brynjolf's Base ID) 1 just before the completion of quest tg09 and thus the start of quest tg09post (when playing first the Hunted by Shadows quest), the tg09post quest don't start.

Edit : when typing setstage tg09post 10 before killing Brynjolf, it works but when typing setstage tg09post 10 after killing Brynjolf it doesn't work. Normally I would say that this is caused by an alias fill error but since I set TG09PostBrynjolf's Alias to optional and allow dead, this is a Skyrim vanilla bug.

well now ... you HAVE progressed a lot ... :ohmy:

now, first I don't have the tools installed to aid u more with this already (and maybe even time) but I'll try to help anyway.

So ... looks like Brynjolf NEEDS to be alive to fulfill that final dialog with Karliah and Gallus eh? if that Alias to optional and allow dead doesn't work and it worked before ... how about turning Brynjolf somehow -and literally- "invisible" within that 'final' dialog? I mean, skipping his dialog lines keeping only Karliah's and Gallus and making him not visible there, and once that dialog is off turn his Alias to optional and allow dead if that's required after it? possible? invisible potions for him?? :mellow:

hope that helps :)

Edited by 101VRanger

No, I'm not turning him back to life. That would go against the whole clue of this mod. I can maybe duplicate the tg09post quest like I did the TG08A (Trinity Restored) quest. Oh boy, extra work great (insert sarcasm here :unsure:), this will probably my last contribution to this mod. If you know how much time I've spend on this mod, you know why I'm growing tired of making quest mods. They are underappreciated I think. People pay money for DLCs, but when they see a mod that's just as big of a deal for free then they don't want it (I not refering to you guys who downloaded my mod, you're awesome :thumbsup:) but I'm refering to mod reviewers. I emailed a couple of them (Gopher, Brodual, MMOxReview and some others) and no one seems interested, too much work I guess to review these mods, but not as much work to making them. I even send a message to the guy from GEMS, no reply at all :confused:. I'm delivering them a great mod on a silver plate and they aren't interested, a strange world indeed. Even if they say no, I'm still glad I get a reply at all, but they just ignore me. If I see mods like ENBs configurations (just some ini files) or some skimpy armors make the hot file section, I'm not sure what I'm doing this for anyway. Just my two cents :whistling:.

Edit : Okay, maybe I overreacted a bit, I had to duplicate the post quest anyway because of this dialogue line Karliah says : "I've decided to make my home at Nightingale Hall. Since it's your home as well, I hope to see you and Brynjolf there." I'm making good progress btw.

Edit : Done, everything works now (including the duplicated TG09Post quest, turns out that nomatter if you have set Brynjolf to optional and allow dead, if he has voicelines the quest will not start) I'll make a video today and begin the upload probably tomorrow.

Edit : Video upload failed, youtube complains that the video is longer than 15 minutes, I've tried to increase the limit but then you have to send a sms, which costs me money. I didn't know youtube asked for money, any alternative? (besides making the video shorter/split in parts).

Edit : Gopher finally replied (after some pushing by me :tongue: ), he will consider reviewing this mod in one of his Let's Play Skyrim videos.

Edit : I'm reuploading the video after I've "validated" (I did need to this already when I had created my account, but now I had to do it by sending a sms) my youtube account.

Edited by bruce142