Grand Theft Auto IV

Werewolf334

When I first saw this game was coming out I was ecstatic... once I started reviewing things for the game I stated to see more and more things I didn't like. First of all, I hate Windows Live, and discourage it completely. Suffice to say I am a Windows Live rebel.

The fact that you have to use windows live just to save the game is completely idiotic. I guess microsoft is using this stupid thing to prevent pirating, well guess what - When you do a stupid move like this it makes it all the more tempting. Granted I know pirating isn't supposed to be talked about so lets not discuss it too much.

All I know is that most of the series of games coming out require patches, cracks, or mods made by players just make the games playable. I find it ridiculous really. If I wanted to edit a game so much I might as well make my own.

Now to the good part: I have bought the game and am installing it right now, hopefully I find the game the game a bit fun, but I am going to use some cracks to make it so I can actually play without windows live - I don't regret it either. Windows should know that not everyone likes their stupid live program, and that not everyone uses it.

Sometimes I wish sony would come out with more stuff for the PC because I have NEVER had a problem with anything sony. To be precise I still have my old ps1 and it still works, same with the old ps2... still works (and i mean the fat version that I got right after ps2 was released). I can't say the same about anything related to microsoft. I have had to repair, replace, mod, or buy another -- be it an xbox, software, or basically anything related.

The number of times I have had to reinstall XP is pure... and utterly ridiculous too. Most of the time it isn't my fault. Maybe I should switch to linux?

Ah yes, to the bad part - this game is crap. I played the game for just a few minutes and noticed - There is no good to it. GTA San Andres was by far better, and I uninstalled that after days of growing bored of it. I grew bored of this game in just a few minutes. First off the start is just plain stupid. The game seems to have a bit of a slow gameplay. When driving around I feel like I am driving at 5 miles per hour...

maybe Im not giving the game enough credit - but from what I have seen and played, it doesn't deserve any. Waste of money, big time.

GFWL is made of lose and fail; I absolutely concur with that assessment. I was scared to death that Fo3 was gonna require it instead of just having it as an option... I'm not sure what I would've done if it had. Every time Microsoft makes an online gaming service, it ends up sucking horribly- remember the Gaming Zone? I think that any future purchases of mine are going to be carefully researched; unless there is a way to play the game without using GFWL, I probably won't buy it.

As for the game itself... well, to each his (or her) own. Despite its popularity, GTA is a bit of a love-it or hate-it deal. I don't know how different GTA4 is, but most of the others suffered from a lot of polarizing issues (like the physics model, vehicle handling, or gunplay) that just rubbed a whole lot of people the wrong way. I've enjoyed all of the GTA titles released for PC (never could adjust to Rockstar's console interfaces), but haven't gotten around to GTA4 yet. Is there a way (other than cracks) to make it work without GFWL? If there isn't, then that'll make my final decision... it isn't as if I don't have plenty of other games to play.

even when using cracks you still had to install the GFWL just to get the game started, same goes for another online thing called Rockstar something, It required not one but 2 online services just to start the game... The cracks did allow me to save the game without GFWL, but the game still sucked. The driving system is worse than in GTA:SA. The plot is stupid and makes no sense at all. Suffice to say the first thing you see in a nasty guy getting whipped by a girl in sexual foreplay, not really something I liked to see first in the game. Sure it may attract perverts, but it didn't attract me, and I had no idea why they started it off that way anyways.

This game is just a garbage jump for money. Get if you like GTA (like I did), but don't be surprised if you get the reaction as me and uninstall it and try returning it.

I'm disappointed with GTA4 as well.No way near as good as San Andreas was but i hear they have a DLC coming out.Main character will be a biker.So disappoint the user then put out an add-on to try to make the game what it should have been in the first place.Hmm i get it more $$$$$ for Rockstar.

The clothing is boring,no tattoo shops,no barber shops,can't use my joystick,no mouse steering,no sensitivity adjustment for steering so on the keyboard even just tapping the keys causes you to jerk back and forth.So i need to buy an XBox 360 control for windows if i want decent vehicle control.

Then the GFWL crap.Tried uninstalling it and the game wouldn't run at all.Microsoft needs to back off and spend more time and money improving Vista instead of policing pc games.

I've played all the GTA games and was never disappointed until now. :verymad:

I don't know about the PC version but I bought the XBOX360 version and it was pretty fun. The biggest problem was all the random cussing and the inability to turn that crap off which means I cannot play it with any kids in the house that are conscious or might "possibly" be conscious. By the time I get all my kids in bed, I am too tired to play the game and thus, I have not "traveled" very far in it and it is collecting dust right now.

I've heard bad things about the PC version. I've got the 360 version, and it's pretty awesome. It does take a bit of time to start heating up, and the cars are, shall we say, more "realistic", but once you get used to the controls it's no longer an issue. It may not have the sheer amount of content that San Andreas did, but to be fair, it's the first game in the current engine, and it took three games for it to get that far with the last engine. If they keep up with the DLC then it'll improve vastly with time. If you've got a console, and a hankering for GTA, don't get the PC version.

Ok, i have to cop to the fact that,after my initial disappointment with GTA4,i am enjoying the game.The graphics are much improved and,other than the jerky keyboard steering,the vehicles handle fairly realistically.Niko's comments can crack me up much like Carl's did in San Andreas.The peds are consistently funny and insulting as in San Andreas.The police don't seem to be as difficult to escape from at lower wanted levels.There are internet cafes and internet dating and you have to check your email regularly.I have far more,demanding,friends in this game than i would choose to have in real life lol.The phone rings constantly.You can also get drunk in the game.I don't drink but the results are funny.So all in all,the annoying stuff aside,i'm glad i bought the game.I did email Rockstar and asked if there was any way to enable mouse steering.Doubt that i'll hear from them but if they get enough emails asking about mouse steering who knows.

Performance-wise i haven't had any more than a few graphical glitches so far,nothing major.I have read that others are not so fortunate tho.

macmert Posted Dec 18 2008, 07:47 AM

I dont have net acess at home, does it mean I cant run GTA 4?? Plain stupid.

Found this on this site.LINK

A fallback system for players with no internet access will be available, and will involve using an internet-enabled PC to activate the game.They didn't explain how that would be achieved tho.