compilations w/ the CS

bobbyskel78

feelin' like a noob here.

i was creating a custom race, all my work and unique. although, i wanted to have access and give access to others to use the custom race or perhaps just a somewhat total compilation of all cosmetics. for the most portion it was a simple use of tes4gecko ... yet, on starting a new game i noticed there were many other options ... as these were just variations of already existing races, i wanted too couple them as well and give whatever a player wants the most diversification of eyes, hair, horns ... etc.

so, i've ran into a prob. i tried to open a second instance of the CS thinking i could just copy and paste these variations ... not custom races, just pre-defined adjustments to existing ones. a global copy didn't work and a drag n' drop doesn't work.

i set my mod as active, opening the other thinking i could just copy it over that way ... it slaved my mod to the other one. i've yet to try it, but i'm wondering if i just leave everything unactive if that might do the trick ... or am i going about this all wrong?

So you tried to import your custom race from 1 mod to another?

If both mods are plugins and you're using the CSE it's probably because you use an option to make the ESP's loaded together as parents. You can deactivate the dependency using TES4gecko. After this check for errors using TES4Edit to make sure you didn't forget anything and you should be fine.

Edited by Oblivionaddicted

• 2 weeks later...

i did try to go back w/ GECK ... the other mod had a master file as well, so it wasn't as simple as just removing a singular file ... this was a quest mod that even once detached left a WHOLE BUNCH O' HONEY & OATS left behind.

i finally sucked it up and opened two instances of the CS, one w/ my mod active & the other mod in the opposite one. the asset files were easily transferred over ... the face generation took me a minute or ... HOUR, to figure out what the author did ... it was a copy/duplicate from several different races ... one was unique and playing w/ all the facial stats, it was obvious i was never going to be able to get it exact.

in the end, i got utterly frustrated. the umpteenth hair and eye styles weren't being ported into the game for some reason. i remembered i used Ren's head for my PC race, once i went back to the default imperial race, all of the eye and hair choices became available. i still don't know what exactly why Ren's head.nif wouldn't allot for the custom hairs and eyes. ???

I stopped there. beer, benzo, sleeping pills, melatonin ... these puzzles used to be enjoyable ... aghhh. i'm having nightmares of javascript ... i would take some c# or vb any day of the week .... nah, i love a challenge.

tx for the input OA. i'm starting to gather you must camp out on the forums.

You did it the wrong way:

• open the mod you want to import things from as the plugin file and the one you want to modify as the active file
  • select every element you want to import, change the editor ID and confirm you want to create a new object (this way you notably don't need to reproduce the face settings)
  • drag and drop the race-specific elements to the race menu (like the eyes, hair and stuff)

After this remove any dependency the modiied fiel can have received and check for errors using TES4EDIT.

This is the way I did to import the winged twilights in my More consistent and diverse Oblivion enemies, the difference being I didn't import from an esm.

i already tried my mod as the active mod, which was only concentrating on cosmetics and playable custom races. i used GECKO to alter the master list. my mod was a simplistic custom race, but at the same time i wanted to offer as much cosmetics as possible, the other mod was a quest mod with both a esm and esp. it didn't work, i've already copied all the assets from one to the other, opening two instances of the CS. Now a new pickle. I start a new game and even though i named every characteristic the exact as the quest mod and loaded my mod post that one ... two exact custom races are showing up.

if i remember correct, their assets were compacted in a bsa. my mapping was extracted from the bsa into their respective folders. (ie. eyes, hair ...) also remapping the assets in the CS.

shouldn't this conflict and the mod that loads the last take precedence?

i guess while i'm still on the topic of what was supposed to be just a highly tattooed optional custom race, but also allot every hair and eye style ... my mod is primarily dealing w/ the feminine gender, although i have Waalx's A&C installed ... which means about 100 ... seems like it, custom races just for the allocation of a beard, which strangely includes female genders too.

i'm thinking of taking on the task of separating the beards from the 'upper mouth' and binding it to the hairstyle, which should be male only. thoughts? i saw someone has already done something similar, but it require OCO and frankly, just looking at the pics, i didn't care for it.

as always, ty for the input OA. as i said in a previous post, time is the most valuable gift one can give another, as it cannot be regained.

you stated i was doing things backwards previously ... if i don't set my esp as the active file, aren't i'm just altering a different esp?

i love the idea of just a transference of assets, which i have tried and separated the two w/ GECK ... it left most of the quest mod still in what was supposed to be some cosmetic (eyes, hair ... etc) modifications.

i've noticed two instances of my mod and what would be the parent. i think i need to set the formid the same to take precedence and load it post the object mod. this quest mod contains both a esm and esp, Elsweyr Anequina-25023-March-2014-1561735850.

i think i need to change my editor and form id to match Elsweyr Anequina-25023-March-2014-1561735850 and post my mod post everything, as it shouldn't conflict w/ anything, it just offers it as a playable race for the assets that don't have the primary file. i guess that's a question???

You're too kind. ;-)

You can't save the changes on a plugin if you don't set it as the active file, instead you'll have to save theses changes on another plugin.

Edited by Oblivionaddicted