Oblivion lag is unplayable

bobbyv1014

On-board sound solutions like Realtek don't do much if any sound processing themselves. All that work is off-loaded to the CPU (they're really only providing somewhere to plug in your speakers and microphone). Installing a discrete sound card isn't rocket science, but it does involve opening your case and following instructions. If you decide to go that route one thing to make sure of is disabling the on-board sound before you install the new sound card (which will involve going into your system BIOS steup). Many brick and mortar computer outlets offer installation services these days (e.g. Future Shop and Staples, at least here in Canada).

• 1 year later...

Hi there!
I had this exact problem on my laptop (it's actually not a bad laptop) but I could play it on my XP computer with very high settings no problemo which had worse specs than my W7 laptop.

Then the other day I encountered a problem with Sonic Generations and it told me to right click on desktop -> Nvidia control panel -> Manage 3d settings -> Program Settings -> then on select a program to customise, I realised a bunch of games that would lag were using the integrated graphics card instead of my Nvidia card and Oblivion was one of these games (along with Fallout 3 which had the exact same problem too) so changed it to the Nvidia card and BAM works on very high graphics in Imperial City Market without a hitch.

Hope someone will still be searching for this!

Streamline was intended for weak computers and can cause problems with more powerful machines. The author never quite finished it before he vanished from gaming altogether. It does have some features that can be used with more powerful computers though - read the documentation ( it's huge) for some of the tricks. :thumbsup:

What streamline does - it changes the graphics on the fly while you are playing - On a weak computer I was having a much better FPS, but at the expense of a lot of reduced graphics - pretty much no eye candy, then it would change the distance that you see things - you could nearly run into a building before it would pop into view. Bandits would be hitting you with arrows and you wouldn't be able to see them, A bandit charging with sword would be right on top of you when they appeared. Some of these view distances could be changed, at the expense of FPS.

Then when you stop moving, the view distance would gradually move out. But, for me on that old computer it made the difference between being able to play and not able to play. Without, the FPS was consistently 10 to 15 and dropped to around 5 in combat :pinch: With it my FPS was mostly around 20 to 25. Combat was still marginal, but manageable. :blush:

A few upgrades worked wonders - increasing RAM from 1.5G to 3G, and a new video card with 1G instead of my older 512K Made the game playable. Still using Streamline, but far better graphics detail (eye candy) - And I removed some of the view distance limits without much loss of FPS. New FPS went to around 30 to 35 with negligible drop in combat - very playable. :dance:

My current system blows it away. (i5-4570 CPU, 2G GTX 660, 16G ram, SSD Hard drive, triple 23" monitors) still not quite top of the line, but adequate for Skyrim and superior for Oblivion. :cool:

• 1 year later...

Ok im here to help on any forum i can find about enhancing oblivion fps and performance. People keep doing .ini tweaks and getting performance enhancer mods. For some this works. For others it does very little. I am one of them. Theres a misconception that oblivion engine is faulty and that is not true. Gamebryo (oblivions engine) is well made and balanced. The down side is its cpu intensive. Theres no multi thread problem and most of what people say is not true. If you computer meets the minimum requirements to run oblivion you good to go but theres one thing people are not seeing. With my fair bit of computer knowings and the help of a faimly friend who builds computers and is a programmer. We found out that most of the time with oblivion performance issues and .ini tweaks with performance enhancer mods not working is a buss problem (a buss is the system that transfers data between components in a computer).Its probably not fast enough to handle the flow of data or something is bogging it down and unless your a computer expert DO NOT MESS WITH A BUSS. i warned you. I hope this helps and im sorry but if you cant get oblivion to run smooth no matter what you try you just have to deal with it or buy a computer with a fast buss.This applies to any game. It all depends on how to game runs.