System Resinstall - Best way to reinstall all mods?

drum2

I had to reformat my system and install from scratch, but I still had the partition my games and modmanager was on. I reinstalled Skyrim and reinstalled nexus mod manager and it found it's old directory with all of the mods I had installed.

Here is my problem, mod manager thinks all of my mods are installed, but they are not. If I try to "deactivate" with the intention of re-installing it by activating it, mod manager crashes on every mod I try to deactivate. Some of them actually unactivate but most will not.

Is there a good way to go about this?

This is the kind of error I'm getting in the log... of course I have no problem opening the file in explorer:

Inner Exception:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Install Info\InstallLog.xml' is denied.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at System.Xml.XmlWriter.Create(String outputFileName, XmlWriterSettings settings)

at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Save(String fileName, SaveOptions options)

at Nexus.Client.ModManagement.InstallationLog.InstallLog.SaveInstallLog()

at Nexus.Client.ModManagement.InstallationLog.InstallLog.TransactionEnlistment.Commit()

at Nexus.Client.ModManagement.InstallationLog.InstallLog.TransactionEnlistment.Commit(Enlistment p_eltEnlistment)

Running Threads (1)

7 ()

Aborted

uninstall NMM via windows uninstall. check your Skyrim data folder. If you have items in there other then vanilla items, you might be better off just uninstalling/deleting the whole game (and file structure) and reinstalling it fresh. With the possibility of fragmented mods you never know what issue you may encounter. IF you already reloaded your whole OS, then redoing the game is not any more complicated and insures a clean slate to start. If you cannot recall the mods you have, take a screen dump of Wrye Bash mod list or screen shot your NMM screen (may take a few if you are heavily modded). then you can refind the ones you like.

If you do decide to reload, some of your savegames may be completeyl unplayable. So you will litterally be at a fresh game load. make sure to look at or at least save your INI files as well as game saves/screen shots as those will be gone if you do reload.

You can still just uninstall/reinstall NMM without the game reload first just for giggles. It might fix it. Just remember you need to delete the NMM folder/path after the uninstall or it could grab the entries again.

Thank you Brandy! It's already a clean install of skyrim so I'll do what you said, record what mods I have then purge nexusmod completely.

If I save the archived mods, can I re-install those with nexusmod rather than download them all again? The original archive files look like they're in the Mods directory.

yes, but if your archived mods are not current or by nature of when they were made are no longer compatiible with v1.8xxx of Skyrim, then you might find yourself back with your head banging off a wall.

Make back-ups of your data folder periodically. then if you do install a mod that doesn't play well with others, you just reload the data folder prior to that mod install. Then if game files are over written as a result, you can just start from your now restored folder. I tend to not load more then 2 mods at a time before I save my data folder. I keep the previous 4. They can be upwards of 10GB (or more) on a heavily modded system. My present data folder is 14.7 GB in size.

As this will be a fresh load, it wont mean much. after time, do a defrag on your game drive. it really does help with reads/writes from your HD. If you have an SSD, its not really required or advised.