UV Unwrapping

doctorhr2

Hello all,

I'm on 3D S Max (currently 2012) and I've been using it for a few years, so I know my way around the basics. I would like to know if other users on the forum use the in-built UV Unwrapper or a third party one? Are there any that anyone would recommend? I know it's always going to be a fiddly, time consuming job, but are there any that do a better job than Max?

Thanks kindly in advance.

i use blender and i like to use not so much seams....

i prefer to uv unwrap every single mesh (especially if the model is composed by a lot of single meshes) and than create the complete uv map in a second time....

this is an example:

render

and this is the uv map:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2730/66089260.jpg

i tend to try a lot of times before choosing wich is the right seam for the work

these are the only tricks i use (for now) and they always worked pretty fine, however i don't know how 3dsmax behave on this side....i think there are plenty of other scripts and methods to uv unwrap especially in max wich is a great program for sure :)....

i use blender and i like to use not so much seams....

i prefer to uv unwrap every single mesh (especially if the model is composed by a lot of single meshes) and than create the complete uv map in a second time....

this is an example:

render

and this is the uv map:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2730/66089260.jpg

i tend to try a lot of times before choosing wich is the right seam for the work

these are the only tricks i use (for now) and they always worked pretty fine, however i don't know how 3dsmax behave on this side....i think there are plenty of other scripts and methods to uv unwrap especially in max wich is a great program for sure :)....

Thanks, I have tried a similar approach on my latest model (UV mapping each part rather than trying to sort out the whole thing) and it did make for better workflow. It might be that I need to impose more control over the placement of seams rather than let 3DSM do it. Thanks again for the tips.

Fiddly, yes, time consuming, no.

Seams: => Point to Point Seams (to place all the seams exactly where you want them to be) => Select a face => Expand Face to Selection to Seams => Pelt Map => repeat

(If Pelt map doesn't work, or isn't necessary, I use Projection Mapping (usually planar or cylindrical; occasionally Mapping => Unfold Mapping; but it can get messy)

When all your islands are done, use Relax (I also use Reshape Elements => Straighten Selection; a lot!), and then arrange them all together in the tile.

As easy as it gets, (imo).

No need for 3rd party plugins. Unwrapping UVs in Max is easy, and after a while you get fast/proficient with it.

Edited by FavoredSoul

Personally I use Max's unwrapping tools, I learned on 3DS Max 7 and generally still unwrap things the old way I learned because it works for me. I think I've used pelt mapping maybe twice...generally for me its select faces, apply the appropriate type of mapping thats close, unwrap, adjust and repeat. If its pretty simple I might just use flatten mapping and stich things back together in a way that makes sence.

Unwrella looks to be a good plugin for unwrapping but I've only played in the trial for maybe 20 minutes at most a year or two ago, it runs $188.00 if you click the link for "Order Unwrella 2 via Kagi" on the order page.

Wow, thanks for the great feedback and tips everyone! Very much appreciated. Favouredsoul, I had read about the functionality of Point-to-Point Seams and Pelt Mapping, but never really applied it to what I was doing, but I will now.