New Member - Saying Hello

xInfaRedx

Actually computers (even your Macs) are a digital interface over top of an analogue machine. The "blood" coursing through your computer's veins and arteries (circuit board/motherboard tracings) is electricity, and it has the techology to be infinitely variable as well ("Would you like a little more voltage with that sir?" says your local power plant). Took me quite a while to learn how to buy a power supply (cheapest ... no, most expensive ... ahh not really, let me have a look at those spec sheets again).

A top notch power supply is your best friend buffer between the yahoos running your local power plant and that wounderful "digital world" that is promised in the PC advertising.

I "roadie" for one of the other boaters at the marina where I keep my boat when they put on their annual show. Over the years I've showed competence and gained some trust ("Ya, you can carry that Striker ... you know how to be careful") but there are still certain tasks that I am not allowed to do. Their equipment has to survive a trip north from Florida and if something like an "Oops" happens there no way to make the trip home for the replacement in time for the show.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats for sure. I always use high end voltage regulators and power conditioners (from my music knowledge) for all my electronics now (TV set up, home stereo, and now PC game room). I use Furman, they are the best bang for buck, but there are higher ends out there. Bottom line is, my gear is all guaranteed to receive dead spot on 120v period. No matter what my spikes and drops are.. within reason of course. And power conditioning, though less important for gaming is seriously important for tube music gear. Dirty power = no good.

That said, monitors benefit from power conditioning. To get a consistent color representation, etc.. But that is also splitting hairs. But I'm a rabbit hole hair splitter I tell ya !

Yup ... I've been an APC guy for UPS for years. First line of defense is the UPS and then the power supply is only doing it's one job. Didn't have my Klipsch Pro Media 5.1's powered through the UPS and paid the price. Now a product that is no longer available has picked up a hum. Once we get past this COVID craze I'll see if I can dig up some wizard to figure out if they are saveable.

Hi Miranda ! Glad to have you aboard. I also am new here. I am fine, how about yourself ?

So what's your games of choice ? What mod organizer do you use ?

Edited by xInfaRedx