Do I need to install NMM?

grannywils

I am totally new to FONV, so please be patient with me everyone. I just installed the game and so far have only installed FOMM, as that was the first mod manager I came upon. The game seemed to be working fine, but now is stalling out or "freezing" on a fairly regular basis. I do not know enough about modding or mod managers to know what might cause this. Following is a list of my mods and their load order. Could someone please give me a hand and let me know if I have done something really dumb in my load order, or if I have to install NMM. (I use it in Skyrim and will use it if I have to). I just don't know for sure which one is better. Please help!!!!

[X] FalloutNV.esm

[X] DeadMoney.esm

[X] HonestHearts.esm

[X] OldWorldBlues.esm

[X] LonesomeRoad.esm

[X] GunRunnersArsenal.esm

[X] ClassicPack.esm

[X] MercenaryPack.esm

[X] TribalPack.esm

[X] CaravanPack.esm

[X] FalloutNV_Camera_Control.esm

[X] iHUD.esm

[X] Lings.esm

[X] MikotoBeauty.esm

[X] DarNifiedUINV.esp

[X] CASM.esp

[X] BIS - Brumbek's Inventory Sorting.esp

[X] BIS - Dead Money.esp

[X] BIS - Honest Hearts.esp

[X] BIS - Old World Blues.esp

[X] BIS - Lonesome Road.esp

[X] BIS - Gun Runners Arsenal.esp

[X] BIS - More Cactus Water Recipes.esp

[X] Vanity Camera Smoother.esp

[X] bzArmour.esp

[X] bzBodySuits.esp

[X] DragsModernGunslinger.esp

[X] DIM TYPE3clothesRETAIL_NV.esp

[X] LingsPrettyThings.esp

[X] GARU.esp

[X] NVWillow.esp

[X] Lings-PlayableRaces.esp

[X] MikotoBeauty.esp

[X] MojaveDelight.esp

[X] TFH Rugged Race.esp

I do also have NVSE 2_beta12 installed and all the current patches. My version of the game is the latest one out. In addition, I do have a fairly powerful rig so don't think that is causing my difficulties. But any recommendations would be welcome and appreciated. Thank you so much. :confused:

Check that under TOOLS in FOMM that Archive invalidation is checked. Mikoto beauty and Lings are in the wrong order, they don't really get along either but go like this:

Lings Races

Mikoto Beauty

LingsPrettyThings

Not entirely sure but i think Pretty things requires Lings Coiffure. In FOMM click on Prettythings and have a look at the lower pane to see if it says anything other than requiring FalloutNV.esm as a master and mentions Coiffure then you will need it. Google it, it's only on ModDB atm.

Now as i mentioned Lings and Mikoto don't get along - at least without a patch. You can make a merged patch in FNVedit. DL that and i will show you the rest. Let's just get it running first.

EDIT: Put all them 3 at the bottom of the LO.

First of all thank you so much for responding so quickly. I did as you suggested and checked for Archive Invalidation. It is checked. I also changed the order so that :

Lings Races

Mikoto Beauty

LingsPrettyThings

are now in the correct order

I then checked the bottom pane on FOMM for Pretty Things. It requires FalloutNV.esm and Lings.esm, but it did not mention anything about Lings Coiffures.

Oh, and lastly I have now put them all at the bottom of my load order. So LingsPrettyThings.esp is the last one in my entire load order. I have not tried the game yet though. I will try it and let you know how it works.

I have no idea how to make a merged patch, but if necessary I can do without Mikoto Beauty I think. I was really just trying to find a decent face mod for the females. I think that one was required for the Dimon UNP body. (which is the same body I use in Skyrim) But I don't really care if I use another one. I would be happy to take recommendations if there is another one that works better. I think one of them isn't working right anyway, as some of the npc's have pink demon eyes.

My rig is (I have to copy it from my profile page)

Sandy Bridge 2500K processor; 16 Gig Memory; ASUS P6 X58D Memoryboard; GTX 660ti Graphics card; Soundblaster XFI Soundcard and two 24" ASUS HDMI monitors. My husband is a computer guy, and he says this is good. I know very little about computers, but I think he is right. Unfortunately he knows nothing about my game... :(

Will let you know how these fixes worked...

ok, I have played for a little while now with the above changes, but still seem to be having the same freezing problems. Maybe not quite so often. But it is definitely still happening. Any help would be so, so, so appreciated. I am really loving this game so far, but need to find out what I am doing wrong so I can fix this issue. Thanks so much.

The 4gb should help if you have a large Load Order or are using extreme settings. Making a merged patch is quite simple and will ensure that most content from your mods appear in game without conflict. Two ways to do this :

EDIT: 4GB patch is essential if using HD texture replacers such as NMCs or Ojo. The game will crash if it exceeds the 1.8GB address space allocated. This requires NVSE also.

Easy: FNVEdit

Advanced: Wrye Flash

Though in my opinion they are both pretty easy, just have to take some time to get to know them, but with FNVEdit we can have a patch up fairly quick, a few minutes in fact! I'll guide you through that but let's just rule out some other factors first.

Thanks for changing the LO and checking AI, that all seems fine, just a couple more things: What settings are you running NV at and at what stage did the game start hanging (only ask that because i wasn't able to clarify this from your OP), was it before modding or after modding or after a specific mod etc etc? Your load order is definitely correct and the merged patch will make it perfect, so no problems there. One more thing also just off the top of my head but is there any problems in INTERIORS or is it just in exteriors? Sometimes high Object fade leads to freezing, this can be sometimes fixed by NV Stutter Remover or a change of settings.

So once we work these things out we will go from there.

BTW your system specs are fine, more than enough for this game but in some cases some settings can cause heavy lag and also keep in mind the Gamebyro engine is crap to be blunt and one or two errors overlooked lead to catastrophe. We will solve it, to me this should be cake as your LO is sweet.

Ok, I opened the file to find out my settings. They are as follows:

NViDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

16:9 Widescreen

1920x1080

2 samples (just changed them from 4)

2 samples (just changed them from 4)

Mode is set to vertical sync

Screen effects are set to HD

Show all resolutions is ticked

By the way, my husband told me I got my information on my rig wrong. It is as follows:

i7 2600K

16 gigs of RA

1155 Mobo

GTX 660 Ti

2 27" Asus monitors

Razor keyboard and mouse

90 gig SSD hd

and 240 gig hd

I think I will be getting another hard drive soon. We took a 640 out as he needed it for another computer. (He's a computer tech, so I sometimes lose out. But eventually I get it back) :tongue:

Oh, and by the way I did look at the 4gb mod, as we had used one in Oblivion. But this one seemed way too confusing to me, and I was unsure if I could install it by myself. So I thought I would hold off until I was sure if I needed it.

Thanks again for your help,

Granny

Rig is still fine, well above average. With the 4gb patch all you need do is install NVSE as you probably have then extract all content from the 4GB mod to the game directory and then add a shortcut to the desktop from "fnv4gb.exe" and all you need do is load the game from that and your done! And it loads NVSE with it so you won't have any trouble there.

Your load order seems fine to me so perhaps something more sinister is at work lol. Let's do this: Revalidate the game cache in Steam, then test the game. If still problems then lets load up FNVedit and just see if any error messages pop up while it's loading the mods. If not then we make a merged patch. To make a merged patch simply right click on any mod after it's loaded and select "Apply filter". You might know this from TESedit. Then just selet OK as all settings there should be fine by default then when your LO turns lots of pretty colors right click again and select "Create Merged Patch". It will do it by itself after you name it. Remember to o this every time you add new mods that alter the game. It will ensure all your mods data shows up in game or at least 99%. It misses some things but it's not that big a deal. This can also help with freezing problems if a mod is trying to load something that is being overwritten by another or replaced etc etc, scripts are usually bad for this and also quest altering mods.

Now if all that fails, which i doubt, there is human error somewhere (and that's ok) but w will have to do some more advanced troubleshooting. Like giving me remote access to your computer. Just kidding, stuff that lmao. But there are things we can do to narrow down the problem without reinstalling everything. You might want to look at another thread i've been replying to in this section (NV tech support) with Lunatech666 having camera problems because of human error with a certain mod installed. You might find some of the methodolgy useful.

EDIT: The other thread i mentioned is still having trouble. So scratch that about it being fixed - njew errors arose from a dodgy mod but we're looking into now. Just TBH.

I'll be here when you need me, Tech support is my homepage atm, I too am heavily modding atm.