Precombined Meshes - Messing with material swaps

Zorkaz

Appearantly after creating precombined meshes some of my advertsposter as well as some houses reverted to their original material swaps, defined in the .nif file. Is there a way to solve this?

Or is it possible to disable Precombineds for certain cells?

Yes, precombine generation will break custom material swaps applied at the base item level. You should apply swaps to the ref in the cell as ArdaxT suggested.

Another option to set any refs with custom material swaps to Initially Disabled before doing your regen, then re-enabling them afterwards. Any statics set to Initially Disabled get ignored when precombines are generated. Layers and the batch action window are very helpful in doing this.

Point of interest: some vanilla statics have custom material swaps applied at the base object level that you'll want to keep an eye out for. All of the magazine HighPoly statics do, as well as the metal Vault crates and dirty versions of the espresso machine and round high-tech cafe table and chair. There are likely many others. All of the swaps on these will break and revert to their default if they are included in precombine generation.

Well your advice is generally good but not when it comes to retextured trees. I now made new nifs that contain the altered textures already.

Also I made the advertsposter and other stuff into movable statics.

The only issue is that I can't retexture the SCOLs directly. Any tips on that?

shYgCv4.jpeg

You could break the SCOLs that are going to be precombined, they aren't going to be loaded anyway.

Alternatively, you could open the SCOL in nifskope and change the material path, or (if you really want to suffer), open the generated precombined.nif file and change the material path there for each instance of the SCOL. Keep in mind, editing the path in the precombined gives nothing to identify it but what material it is normally using, there are no visuals.

Breaking the precombineds isn't an option as it is part of a huge forest-tree collection, so there are a hundred of them.

I'll look at the other option and recolor the nifs

Edit: I was overly anxious. It was just a bunch of prewar trees I accidentally placed.

You could also write an xEdit script to copy all the REFRs from every parent into your cell and apply the matswaps to them. It'd look a little something like in the spoiler. I have something I could adapt out of some scripts I was working on trying to build an automated precombine building pipeline. if you're interested.