Implants

dra6o0n

Well, I'm starting to get a better understanding of scripting, I could try and give it a go, hopefully have a beta up by tomorrow. I'll probably make it displayed as a perk, but given/removed by certain doctor NPCs. Eventually I'll try and make actual items (and different "tiers" of implants, with less-no downside as they get better) that I'll put in leveled lists.

If you haven't, you should read that thread. He's actually got a beta version of the mod up. As I posted though, I'm not sure I dig the idea of only perks being used for the mod. Like the last line says, thoughts?

I read over the thread, and I scanned past the upload (no major info, and even after D/Ling it, the readme was just the same vague info on the Description... utterly useless to decide if taking the time to try/test would be worthwhile)...

I'm with you on this one, I think... Have there be an underpowered Perk, to open up access to the Modifications, but leave the rest of the mods to in-game finds/purchases/quests. But, rather than have a list of powerful modifications that are permanent, have each one have a downside but be interchangable. Maybe only 4 slots that can be filled... allowing a single modification type to be upgraded Lvl.3, and a single Lvl.1 mod for flavor. Or, any combination you choose, within those 4 slots. (1x Lvl.3, 1x Lvl.1; 2x Lvl.2; or 4x Lvl.1 mods) Each modification would incorporate both bonuses and negatives creating more of a 'Trait' effect, rather than a one-sided Perk.

Increased Stats <--> Lowered Stats

Increased Combat / Cranial / Dextrous Skills <--> Lowered Combat / Cranial / Dextrous Skills

(Combat: Big Guns/Energy Weapons/Melee/Small Guns... Cranial: Barter/Medicine/Repair/Science/Speech... Dextrous: Explosives/Lockpick/Sneak/Unarmed)

Increased DR / Rad/Poison Resistance <-->Lower Critical Rate and/or EMP Resistance

Increased Critical Rate <--> Increased chance to be hit with a Critical

Increased AP <--> Slightly lowered VATS accuracy

Stealth Field <--> Lower Carry Weight maximum or Resistances

Toggleable Night Vision <--> Lowered Charisma (whether on or off)

Increased Runspeed / Jump capability <--> Lowered Perception (so easier to get caught unawares while speeding along)

If you keep a balance in anything that is NOT a Perk, you create more choices to be made by the player on how to develop themselves. The "bonus" is being able to do so, in the first place. I proposed that surgeons and mechanics might be able to make the improvements for a hefty price (we're talking at or above Home Improvement costs, here), but with the cost of a Perk, you could get away with searching out the component and installing yourself, or simply purchasing the component at a drastic discount from the Doc/Engineer. (Use up a pure-bonus Perk slot and save in cash/time... or have to pony up the caps and find the NPC who can do the modification you're looking for. Some components may need to be found, and taken to a NPC with the right skill to complete the upgrade.)

You take military modification to Pinkerton for installation... if you already HAVE the Cybernetic Interface Perk he'll do the job for free, just to have a chance to study the design (maybe add access to improvements Lvl.2/3?)... or, without, he'll demand an outrageous fee that would make anyone except Tenpenny blanch.

Heheheh... more ideas to ponder. But, man, I do love thinking on these kinds of changes and additions.

Sang'Rahl

I haven't messed with the GECK much at all, but it would be great if installing the item removed it from your inventory, gave you the associated perk/bonus, and just removed that if you ever got it un-installed, which then puts the item back in your inventory.

Or am I just stating out what was being thought about or already said? (I'm kind of tired ;D)

EDIT: Ah! Ninja's by Sang'Rahl. I like where you are going with that stuff. As I mentioned, I really like all the ideas, both here and in the other thread, but I really don't like being stuck just using perks, like the other guy's mod does.

Being able to get it messed with is great. I do think the option to do it to yourself should exist. Perhaps as a high(er) level perk, or as an extra onto a higher version of one of the existing perks? Money isn't the issue for me, it's how out-of-the-way Pinkerton is. :rolleyes:

Once I do add in items, removing the from inventory will be easy.

I'm thinking that their will be a scale of implant power, with each implant having a base increase/decrease, and different qualties (from broken to perfect) will offer different variation of those (from 1 * incrase and 2 * decrease to 2 * increase), with getting it removed running the possibilty of it's quality being downgraded one.

In ideas so far on where these components might be found? A couple ideas of the top of my head:

* Buy them. Pinkerton could "develop" them after

reverse engineering the components from Harkness.

* Find them. Perhaps at the RobCo facility, or some other tech-based location.

* Build them yourself. Have a requirement for high Intelligence, Repair, and/or Science.

* Quest. Probably most elaborate, but have a whole quest, the end of which leaves you with the ability to upgrade yourself and become a cyborg.

This is all further down the road, of course, but tossing ideas about is always good fun.

i would prefur it if there werent any toggle abilities with implants. I admit that Deus Ex was cool for that fact, but i always prefur the passive ones.

How would you go about 'turning on' a biological function that you never had before? You cant just sew an arm to a human being and expect him to be able to use 3 hands (for example).

My fave implant in FA2 was the combat armour upgrade. Combat armour stripped down and shoved underneath your skin. a +10% dmg resist but -1 Charisma.

I don't think I could figure out how to allow triggering anyway. but I do like the idea of implants that trigger on their own by watching vital sign (An example being one that regens and increases your focus, aka AP and perception, but only if your health drops below 35%, but always subracts 1 from intel due to borrowing processing power from your brain)

Archived