PC Upgrade Help AMD vs Intel

So Im looking for some advice, I want to upgrade my PC this year, since I think its time for a upgrade. Im going to have to replace the mobo already no doubt, since right now im using a AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz w/8gigs memory. Basically Im looking at the AMD FX-8350 and Intel Core i7-3820 and hit the 32gb memory mark.. Which is going to be better for pure gaming, and not give me bottlenecks with a Geforce GTX 670 or 680?

What I want to do mostly right this minute is be able to play Skyrim with the best HD Texture Mods and ENB on Ultra settings, and the high uGrids without any stuttering.

However for my long goal I want to be ready for the next console generation, generally I like my PC to be better then consoles so Im ready for the inevitable ports in the generation to come.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by LenaMarie

well first off, what you have now isnt that bad. depending on your mobo, you could potentially just upgrade your CPU and be just fine. save yourself a bunch of money. unless you have some stock crap Mobo, or its very out of date or something, or it just doesnt support AM3+, then there is no reason to replace it, just upgrade your CPU.

if you do still want to (or need to) replace it, then for pure gaming, both AMD and Intel will serve you fine. either the 8350 or the 3570k will work. you wont notice any difference.

8gb RAM is still plenty for gaming. will be for a time to come. while it in itself is already more then enough, there is no need to go more then 16gb. and the only reason for that is just to fill up your DIMM slots, make it look cooler.

as far as GPU, i recommend a 3GB 7970. enough VRAM and power to run any game with all the mods and texture packs you want.

The price on the 8350 is good right now, its cheap for a High end 8 core'ish cpu.

http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16819113284

why change your motherboard if you already have am3+

Although depending on your motherboard you might need to update your mobo first.

Edited by Thor.

Just a i5-3570K.

FX8350 is slower in Skyrim and games in general and 3820 is slower in games than 3570K.

Do you really need 32GB of RAM? I don't think you can rent it out like an unused room.

Games top out at 4GB, due to compatibility limitations. The rest of the system is less than 4GB. So 8GB is enough. 16GB is enough to have several heavy games and browsers running at once, alt-tabbing in between.

Any PC faster than AMD A10-5800K+HD7670 is already ready for next-gen consoles. The above is what console dev kits use, and they tend to be more powerful than the actual consoles. So, even with your current configuration, you have them beat by far. They won't be particularly powerful.

Increasing uGridsToLoad is a heavy and unstable load that I don't think there is any PC that can handle properly. Even the fastest CPU you can get will be about 50% faster than your current configuration, maybe 75% if you o/c hard. GPU, within 100% faster. That's at the very best a 2x increase. In practice less.

LOL that's what you think, slower in games, i get a 1sec load in skyrim, me i have direct personal experience :D Stick with amd. AMD is better at encoding and number crunching, also a tad more balanced compared to Intel. Intel may be good at games, but amd excels at other things aswell. like folding for instants http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

Which would you choose: a balanced machine or solely for gaming. Also you would need to explore the option of another mobo for that, stick to the one you got. Its cheaper that way to.

Edited by Thor.

Thanks for all the replys, it sounds like the AMD would be great given the cost vs perf ratio. However sadly though I do need to replace the mobo, I have a Asus M3N72-D and the manual says it goes up to AM2+ not 3+

I actually only use my Desktop for gaming, period. I have a asus laptop that does internet/MS Office, music etc and a Ipad that combined fills out the rest of my needs.

Since I need a whole new mobo, Intel is the best to go, since i just have a gaming rig? I dont even watch movies on it. Its just a glorified Steam workstation to be honest. If its not running Skyrim or Far Cry 3 or something, it basically sits there not in use. If so, do I need a I7 or that I5 is the best?

Edited by LenaMarie

Well amd is cheaper, although its up to you to decide. honestly I prefer amd any day.

If ya want a cheap yet good mobo for amdhttp://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

http://www.tigerdire...3472&CatId=7248

in all 300$ max.

Edited by Thor.

Which is going to be better for pure gaming,

Which would you choose: a balanced machine or solely for gaming.

i think that pretty much answered that question lol

AMD is better at encoding and number crunching, also a tad more balanced compared to Intel. Intel may be good at games, but amd excels at other things aswell. like folding for instants http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

its not like Intel isnt good at encoding and compiling and whatnot. i will agree that intel is more expensive, especially if you wanna get something like the 3770k or the SB-E chips which are better for encoding but you act like Intel cant hold a candle to AMD when it comes to stuff like that, and it most certainly can. besides, the majority of gamers, those who build their rigs for 99% Gaming, dont care if they can fold or encode or what have you. which as i said, Intel can do anyways.

We all understand you love AMD Thor. but your fanboyism in every topic about CPUs or PCs is rather annoying. you need to be able to see both sides. AMD is perfect for those who want to save some money, wanna build a HTPC, already have an AM3+ mobo. but for those building from scratch, and/or dont have money restrictions or as tight of a budget, Intel is the way to go.

Edited by hoofhearted4

It can work both ways, you keep calling me a fanboy, but in every topic you keep trying to compete with my point of view, like trying to curb the one wanting help with some other Intel mobo and cpu. When in fact i was only trying to help. Fanboyism with intel is strong with this one, yet every time i mention you being a fanboy i get called out for calling everyone a fanboy, now whose the wrong doer now.

reminds me of dan3345 http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/teehee.gif

Edited by Thor.