Post-war Bases Mod in Progress

Scatty92

Hey guys and girls!

I'm currently working on a compilation for Fallout: New Vegas, including some boarded up, dark and dusty home bases in the style of "post nuclear war", "breakdown of society", "scavenger refuge", "survival shelter", stuff like that.

Currently, there are three locations:

An old gas station, converted to a small retreat (based on El Dorado Substation)

Yep, that's ED-E and Veronica relaxing in their new, cozy shelter ;)

A shadowy, dilapidated but boarded up saloon (based on Big Horn Saloon)

A fortified former grocery store (based on Westside Co-op)

These aren't finished yet, so there won't be a downloadable file soon.

I started this topic because I wanted to know, what do you think about this idea and do you have other ideas for further home bases?

(And I am very well aware of the fact, that the fictional nuclear war happened over 200 years ago and since then, the inhabitants of the Mojave Wasteland and New Vegas developed new, (more or less) civilized societies, similar to pre-war society and most buildings in the desert have been stripped clean, but I am a huge fan of post-apocalyptic scenarios and the desert is still (or moreover especially now) full of dangers and hazards. So... yeah... home bases in ruined old-world buildings :thumbsup:)

Edited by Scatty92

Looks good so far. I like the rugged aesthetic rather than a super-clean luxurious uber-house with more functions than the rest of the vanilla game combined.

What interests me currently (for I am also searching for ideas for my own mod) is means to justify the player owning such a safe house. I get the faction safe houses. You earn them by reputation with a faction, but some factions don't really have many means by which to earn positive reputation. I don't want to get off topic here, but I am wondering how to justify the benefit the player receives.

Never thought about that, actually. Since I'm, lets say, an advanced modder, I'm not that good with scripting and making quests, so When the mod is finished, the home bases just will be there in the wasteland, ready to be inhabited.

About the justification to own a house... Gaining reputation with a faction seems a bit old fashioned to me. Surely, it will be enough to justify the possession of such a base but owning a house shouldn't be connected with siding a particular faction.

This could be reasons to own a home base:

- Finding an abandoned, maybe remote building (like I intended), so nobody cares, who inhabits it

(currently my three bases are located in the El Dorado Substation, in a new building in Nipton and in one of the abandoned buildings north of the Aerotech Office Park)

- Taking it over from Raiders, or finding dead survivors in it for example

- exterminate some creatures in there

- getting access to a mechanically sealed base by hacking a computer terminal

- discover a building --> note at the front door, locked --> following instructions on note, maybe a farewell note --> kind of paper chase to find the key

- getting knocked over and kidnapped by some crazy guy --> wake up in building --> kill crazy guy --> taking over house

- finding survivors in a boarded up building, which is attacked by raiders --> help survivors --> raiders break through door --> awesome fight --> survivors get killed/flee in the turmoil --> survive the attack --> new base

- just buying it from someone, maybe the crimson caravan...

All in all, i thought of less political reasons to justify the posession of a base, like it would fit for a post-apocalyptic world.

Edited by Scatty92