Looking for build advice

ElricOfGrans

My first Skyrim character was a Nord warrior archetype. One-handed axe, light armour, block. Charge in, carve stuff up. Normally, I hate melee characters, but I had a blast. Hit a high level, did half content in the game (Bard's College, The Companions, main quest, civil war, etc) and racked up 100 hours. Good times :) Crafting made this one pretty OP, but we all know that!

My second character was a Khajiit thief and member of the Thieves Guild. Also a lot of fun, but I foolishly maxed out all my non-combat skills with no combat skill development whatsoever. Obvious mistake.

My third was a Breton mage and member of the College of Winterhold. Did not enjoy this one as much, as I found magic a bit `meh', even compared to Oblivion and Morrowind (which were both pretty bad without mods).

I have since installed a few mods like SkyRe and Apocalypse Spell mod, looking to adjust the game balance a little.

My first character with SkyRe was an Imperial scout. Sneak, short bows, alchemy, light armour. Found that I did not overly enjoy alchemy and found the sneak/marksman combination kind of dull (odd, as it was my favourite in Oblivion).

I have now created a Dunmer mage. Mostly Destruction and Alteration, at the moment. Still very early game, but even after mods I am finding magic to be weak, uninteresting and a lot of work for little reward. Warzones is proving pretty brutal with a low-level mage too.

Would a few more levels turn magic around (with those mods, or others), or should I try something different? I am looking to make a character to enter the Dawnguard with. I rarely use two-handed melee weapons (prefer faster attacks), I rarely use heavy armour (prefer more nimble characters), hate conjuration (prefer destruction).

Magic is worth sticking with, I personally really enjoyed magic in skyrim, once you get to high levels is very fun, but it takes a lot of intelligence and planning to use right, you can't just rush in on a whim, you have to be prepared for anything, and set up a battle strategy, etc.

I personally like the Apocalypse spell package for mods, it's pretty fun.