Ability to "Cook" Grenades

Shugwar

Currently you can pull the pin out of grenades and hold them indefinitely. Adding the ability to "cook" grenades and giving them a 5 second fuse would make them a lot more versatile. This probably wouldn't work as well in VATS, maybe it would only apply to real-time. However, I'm guessing there's some major obstacles in making this happen, since it hasn't been done yet.

COD4 is the first and only time I've encountered said ability, and I largely ignored it when I first started playing. However, after some practice I found myself successfully blowing up things other than myself more often than in any other FPS. It's particularly useful when there's an enemy on a ledge above or below you, since it eliminates the need to actually land the grenade. Additionally, taking out Vertibirds before they even landed without having to lug around a rocket launcher would just be downright satisfying. Regardless of whether or not I can sell you on it's merits, thanks for giving it some thought.

Unless my multiple Army buddies are lying to me, real grenades have a 10 second fuse, and when they train you to use them they have you pull the pin, count to 3, and then throw it. Which would mean they actually train you to "cook" grenades (granted, for a specific time). Regardless, it's not as useful in real life as it is in a video game, since stepping into a hail of gunfire to line up a perfect shot/throw is common-place in video games. Besides that, my search for a 'head shots kill you instantly, limbs cripple in 1 shot, and 2-3 shots anywhere will likely kill you' mod continues, and my suggestion of one has gone widely ignored everywhere I've mentioned it, so apparently not everyone's got a realism fetish. Timed grenades probably appeal to more people than Rainbow Six style difficulty, understandably so.

a defensive frag isn't supposed to be single target either, but in this game you can't crack doors or toss them behind walls. Stalker handled grenades pretty well because it had these options and multiple grenade types. For offense I've found myself using Flashbangs and the grenade physics mods.

Unless my multiple Army buddies are lying to me, real grenades have a 10 second fuse, and when they train you to use them they have you pull the pin, count to 3, and then throw it. Which would mean they actually train you to "cook" grenades (granted, for a specific time). Regardless, it's not as useful in real life as it is in a video game, since stepping into a hail of gunfire to line up a perfect shot/throw is common-place in video games. Besides that, my search for a 'head shots kill you instantly, limbs cripple in 1 shot, and 2-3 shots anywhere will likely kill you' mod continues, and my suggestion of one has gone widely ignored everywhere I've mentioned it, so apparently not everyone's got a realism fetish. Timed grenades probably appeal to more people than Rainbow Six style difficulty, understandably so.

I just wrote my own.

Except it sort of doesn't work on super mutants because that'd be cheap that you could just spray them with rifle fire and cripple all their limbs.

Also, I don't know that you could "cook" them per-say. It might be able to be scripted but I don't know.

I'm not quite sure I understand how the "alt-trigger" works on the grenade. It says it has a 2.5 second fuse, but it seems longer than that in game. Since you only have options for detonating on impact or the alt trigger, I'm not sure how much can be done.

Maybe if you gave it a 5 second timer with a proximity fuse? I don't know that that would set it off in your hand, but it might be closer to simulating a cooked grenade.

Archived