ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Skyrim won't load

JeremeW5257

I already uninstalled and reinstalled Skyrim from Steam, so please don't reply with that as a solution.

I can't get Skyrim to start playing. I open the Steam menu...press the play button. The screen goes black with the Skyrim logo on it, but nothing happens. It just gets stuck there. The options to play, load, start new...don't even show up. I can't exit, load,...nothing. I have to use Cntl Alt Del to get to the Task Manager just to get back to Desktop. I try to start it again, but it tells me it's already running. I try to exit Steam, but it tells me to stop playing Skyrim before I can exit. I'm not playing, as far as I can tell. Somehow the computer thinks it's running in the background. I have to shut down my computer to get it to let me load it again. The process repeats. I've played over 1500 hours and never had this problem before.

Any suggestions?

The graphics were the same as they always have been. I was playing for a while, then closed the game to work on a mod in the CK. I tried starting the game again and it wouldn't load. All the mod did was changed the clothing on a NPC...nothing I haven't done 100 times before. I even tried to load it with the mod disabled, but that didn't help either.

It's like the game starts up then freezes as soon as the Syrim logo comes up. After I close it out (with Cntl, Alt, Del) the computer won't let me start it again. Somehow it's running in the background and the only way to get out of it is to reboot.

Instead of rebooting you can go to ctrl alt del go to processes find TESV.exe and right click and select end process that should stop it from running in the background (I've attached an image to show you how) As for the game freezing on you I will look around google and see if I can find anything that will help. You could prob try if you havent already to make sure none of your mods are running when you start skyrim. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

I found this on the nexus forums by Renden

Alright guys I found an easy fix for it.

1. Start up steam.

2. Go to your library and find Skyrim.

3. Right-click on it and select properties.

4. Go to the Local Files tab.

5. Click 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache'....

6. Let it do it's thing.

7. Start Skyrim back up and play.

Oh and right after I did that the game patched so I don't know if it's thanks to the patch or if it's what I did so good luck to you guys and hope this helped.

and this is one I found on steam

Uninstall all the mods, every one of them. Then, reinstall them one by one, each time opening the game and seeing if it runs. Once you find a mod that stops it from working, time for some googling and troubleshooting.

I've had a problem where I accidently open multiple copies of the game do this to me.

Also the above is quite sound.

You should strongly consider some computer maintence defrag the whole drive, modding takes a bigger toll on a computer than most realize.

Also check your registry. When you unistalled did you check your add/remove programs feature??? you might have som left overs there.

• 6 months later...

I've already tried the "Verify Integrity of Game" and it didn't work.

This is an issue that I am also having... I just recently update some mods with the intention of starting a new game however the game is doing the exact same thing that yours is. Should the Akatosh symbol but nothing else happens. I'm considering completely removing skyrim all together from my machine and backing up only the mod files that I will need to for ENB and certain animations files... but then rebuilding my mod list one by one... This might take some time but really I don't see any other way to get back to playing... I have no idea what would cause the game tittle to glitch out... really extremely strange... We are in the same boat so If I find anything that helps to fix the issue aside from a complete re-install i'll be sure to post...

• 6 months later...

ok .... i have a similar problem ,i start skyrim and remains on black image, nothing more... CTR+ALT+DEL closed skyrim and tried again, same problem ... but accidentaly i found the fix for my problem is overwolf LOL!!!!, i stop overwolf in task manager(completly) and then restart skyrim and wtf???? it works :D

hope you or someone else will found usefull my bad english fix :P if you dont have overwolf ... im shure that you have other program that hates skyrim and refuses to work in same time with skyrim :P

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem. Every time I install a new mod it does this. I have to go into my data files and uninstall a handful of just RANDOM mods for it to work. Then exit and re-install them. I know it's not really the mods because my game worked perfectly fine before with the same mods I take off. It thinks that "Duel - Combat Realism.esp" and/or "DragonCombateOverhaul" is the problem. Which again, isn't the problem since I played over 200 hours using these mods. This all started after I installed "Immersive Creatures" mod. Did anyone every find out why this happens? Or how to fix it?