Laser dismemberment, no laser ash piles, and add F2 pulse weapons

youreviltwinSA

Suggestion: Like "sensible dismemberment" mod http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1552, but bring back the the ability for lasers to sever limbs. In the classic fallout games the special death effect for lasers was slicing the torso in half, so if any Fallout 3 weapon should have the ability to slice off limbs or heads, it should be the laser!

Also, possibly bring back limb severing for the minigun. The way I see it, a machine gun that fires that many bullets should be quite literally capable of sawing someone in half. (I'm pretty sure the Brotherhood of Steel took my head off with a minigun back in Fallout 1.)

As for the limb/head explosions... perhaps the assault rifles should be given back the ability to explode limbs. Perhaps even the submachine gun. Not terribly realistic, but in the old Fallout games critical hits with burst weapons like assault rifles and SMGs had some very gory results, and the only thing that can compare to that in Fallout 3 is the limb explosions. Since the "sensible dismemberment" mod decreases the chance of limb/head explosion from 50% to 20%, it will still not be a common sight.

Further suggestion: Recreate the pulse weapons from Fallout 2 - the Pulse Pistol http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/YK32_Pulse_Pistol and the Pulse Rifle http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/YK42B_Pulse_Rifle. In the old Fallout games lasers couldn't turn people into piles of ash, instead it was the pulse weapons (and the alien blaster) that did that. So if we added pulse weapons into Fallout 3, we could give the ash pile effect to them, and remove it from the lasers, and just have lasers dismembering people with no ash effect.

Until someone actually models a pulse pistol and pulse rifle for Fallout 3, perhaps SirSmokeALot's "Alien Rifle" could do the job. http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1021 It's design has a similar retro look to the Fallout 2 pulse rifle. Indeed, given the fact that Fallout 3's laser guns and plasma guns look totally different to how thye looked in Fallout 1 and 2, it's reasonable that the pulse weapons look different too.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images//d/d1/PULSERIF.gif http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/images/thumbs/1021-5-1228532424.jpg

Basically what we need is a mod that adds a new custom weapon to the game, and for the time being it could just use the alien rifle model.

I was thinking pulse weapons would be good weapons for the Enclave to use, and perhaps one or two Brotherhood soldiers. (Would be very, very rare.) Meanwhile, some standard plasma rifles could be given to Super Mutants. Mods like Nailed to Death http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1765 have changed the weapons of Super Mutants so you won't see Super Mutants using puny hunting rifles anymore, just big guns. I recall in Fallout 1 there were also Super Mutants armed with energy weapons, especially plasma rifles. So, rather than hunting rifles, we could make high level Super Mutants be armed with Big Guns, Plasma Rifles and Laser Rifles, and make Enclave more powerful by giving them Plasma Rifles, Laser Rifles, and the occasional super-duper deadly Pulse Rifle. Fallout 3's ash pile effect is great, but I'd rather see it on the proper weapons, the pulse weapons. :)

If we strictly kept to Fallout 2 canon the pulse rifle should use the same Microfusion Cell ammo as the laser and plasma weapons, but that might make the pulse rifle a bit overpowered and make laser and plasma weapons pointless, so I propose pulse weapons use "pulse ammo", which would be rare ammo similar to the Alien Blaster Ammo. Bethesda did that with the Gattling Lasers, made them use "Electron Charge Packs" rather than Microfusion Cells. The alternative would be to keep pulse weapons using Microfusion Cells, but make pulse weapons very rare, only appearing near the end of the game, make them very expensive to repair, and give them high weapon deterioriation.

Lasers can dismember targets, only trouble is they tend to turn your victim into ash at the same time so you may not of noticed it.

If you want to remove the "lasers turn you to ash" effect, then that is easy to do with the geck, there is a dropdaown menu of critical effects, changing each laser to NONE will stop the disintigrations.

Oh I know that lasers dismember victims in vanilla Fallout. But I want to alter the "sensible dismemberment" mod which reduces dismemberment and limb explosions. I like the fact that it stops most normal guns from dismembering victims, but I'd like to bring back dismemberment for the laser weapons.

As for the "turn to ash" effect, I'm happy to keep that in for the moment, but I'm hoping someone can turn the Alien Rifle into a Fallout 2 style Pulse Rifle. Once Fallout 3 has Pulse Rifles, used by the Enclave, then it'll be worth getting rid of the ash piles for lasers.

Thanks for the help though. I may have a shot at modding this stuff myself. ;)

I'm open for suggestions as to how to balance the pulse rifle (ammo type, rarity of the weapon, that kind of thing).

i remember the lazers in the original fallout, when they crit it was brutal teh way they died. But now pretty much every feckin weapon takes off limbs and carves people in two. I think it'd be nigh impossible to do it the way its meant to be done, with a modders resource. Cutting exactly where the beam moves. I mean lets face it, some of the most recent games out cant even do that.

another thing is the disintegration effects of the lasers in Fallout 3 is like a Star Trek Phaser/Disruptor, rather than the pulse weapon's method, which left the skeleton still somewhat intact until it collapsed, the hair standing on end, and a crackling electricity/crispy cooking type sound and of course a scream that continues to echo even after their death (also like star trek).

I'd like to see the pulse disintegration effect more resemble the Fallout 2 effect, rather than just a black version of the Fallout 3 effect with a black ash pile.

I think making the effect really closely resemble the Fallout 2 effect would be rather difficult to do. I suppose one option would be that if an enemy is disintergrated, their normal body vanishes and is replaced by a skeleton, and then that skeleton disintergrates into ash. That would be cool. But, not sure if it is possible to do. Also, super mutants would not have the same skeletons as humans, someone would have to do a super mutant skeleton. And we don't have skeletons for dogs, molerats, bears, mirelurks, etc etc.

(If I recall correctly in Fallout 1 and 2 animals zapped by the alien blaster just looked scorched as if hit by flamethrower, because it would have been too much work for the developers to do cool skeletonisation and disintergration for every animal.)

Anyway, I am not too bothered about making the ash effect look exactly like Fallout 2. Bear in mind that in Fallout 2 the alien blaster and the pulse rifle did the exact same damage effect. Since the Fallout 3 alien blaster does a blue ash pile effect, it would be logical for a Fallout 3 version of the pulse rifle to also cause the same blue ash pile effect.

Though a purple version for the pulse rifle might be nice. ;)

I'd be more interested in seeing an improvement to the plasma rifle goo effect. Perhaps human enemies could leave a skull in the puddle, I recall the Fallout 1/2 plasma goo had a half melted skull in it. Also, if you wanted the result to look REALLY gory, could replace the green glowing puddle with a blood-coloured puddle, so it looks like the creature has actually melted. (Problem is that even ROBOTS can be melted into goo, and they wouldnt' leave a red blood puddle, heh.)

Anyway, I'm not too bothered about the effect looking exactly like Fallout 1/2. If lasers slice up enemies, pulse weapons turn them to ash, and plasma gooifies them, that's good enough for me. :)

i remember the lazers in the original fallout, when they crit it was brutal teh way they died. But now pretty much every feckin weapon takes off limbs and carves people in two. I think it'd be nigh impossible to do it the way its meant to be done, with a modders resource. Cutting exactly where the beam moves. I mean lets face it, some of the most recent games out cant even do that.

Well, install the "Sensible Dismemberment" mod and hardly any weapons will take off limbs. It only allows swords/combat knife/the ripper to take off limbs, and it restricts limb explosions to only the most powerful guns (shotgun, sniper rifle, plasma weapons).

Oh, and of course it would be impossible to get lasers to cut the bodies where the laser actually hits. I wasn't asking for something that crazy advanced ;), I was just hoping for a version of the "Sensible Dismemberment" mod that puts lasers (and miniguns) back on the list of weapons allowed to cause dismemberment.

And, if someone can make the "Alien Rifle" into a Pulse Rifle (create a new weapon that uses the Alien Rifle model, and uses a new ammo type that uses the Alien ammo model), and have it so that a small number of Enclave soldiers will be armed with them, then I'd like to remove ash piles from normal lasers. (As FussyGit pointed out, very easy to do.)

Archived