Blog Piece: Nexus plans for stability and infrastructure improvements.

Dark0ne

With a paid credit system both you and the mod authors make money with every download. If I could make money modding I would gladly quit my job to do it full time to provide you guys with content.

When modding becomes purely about money, it's not worth doing. It's not "modding" as a hobby anymore, it's work.

Plus - lot of legal tie ups on that front (the companies themselves might not allow making profit on mods), and a lot of hassle with stricter "quality control" which I'm sure no one wants to get involved with. Last thing any modder wants is people demanding money or "credits" back because their mod doesn't play well with another on the users load order.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a paid credit system both you and the mod authors make money with every download. If I could make money modding I would gladly quit my job to do it full time to provide you guys with content.

When modding becomes purely about money, it's not worth doing. It's not "modding" as a hobby anymore, it's work.

That, right there.

Sadly I think we're getting farther and farther every game from modding being a labor of love gifted to the community by a few generous souls, however. At least it hasn't quite reached the level of a second job or (gods forbid) a career, just yet.

Only question I have is if the site actually gets paid for "clicks" on the adds I see or not? If you do then I would be glad to click on "more" of them if it will help you reach your goals. =) One of these days I'll probably kick in to get rid of them, but I just got back to work after a year and won't be able to afford the upcoming Skyrim DLC if I do it right now. =P Till then, thank you for the best game mods site there ever was. Edited by tiger8u2

I feel like the next employee hired needs to be a designer and usability/user interface expert.

Some things on the site are ugly and not usable at all.

Like for example, when you track a file rather than that box popping up with tiny little X in the corner, it should just be a simple toast notification, could appear under the button or in a corner of the page, but rather than requiring complete attention, it would be simple and the user would know right away that it worked (colors would help with this, the bubble that pops up is green, it worked, red would be an error, then the person could look at the text to investigate further.)

Here I did a little mockup to show what I mean (and I'm no designer/UX guy).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xeyerd6qkctf9v9/nexus-ex1.jpg

I think a few small improvements like this would go a long way to making the site smooth and more professional feeling. Right now it doesn't seem believable 5 guys work on this site.

This all being said, Nexus sites are great and I want to support them so I've added a filter to my add blocking.

Edited by marcus1060

Kudos :)

I know this wasn't a plea for cash but I'll be putting money in the pot via 1 month subscriptions when I can afford it.

This is without doubt the best modding site I've used, and being relatively new to modding it's made the process of learning so much easier.

Great job :D

no worries must be a nightmare,only problems i have is

1.since the update in jan 2013 i cant download files using mod manager,i just do it manually so no biggie

.2.this a weird one i am a premiem memeber(not sure if makes any difference too this bug)but whenever i log in i lose all catergory files just page numbers and a blank screen,the moment i sign out all catergory files come back.

some people here are talking about modding for payment, well is not a good idea in my opinion.

this may cause issues whit the game productors and a lot of other problems too (as giving back the money if the mod dont work or cause some sort of damage to the software\hardwae).. not a simple thing. Also the site will lose a lot of downloader and, as a consequence, visibility.

i think you should try to improve stability and find an aggreement whit the game company, something like launch the trailers, some troubleshooting and a bit of sponsoring(news about the game to come) ecc..

a bit of generic advertising on the side of the site can grant you a bit of cash adn should be tollerable for the users.

sorry for my english, hope you'll understand.