Freerollin Character/Setting Self Imposed "Rules"

BootsyFunk

I was reading another thread discussing the fact may people quit their characters and restarted many times for any number of reasons: boredom, improper build, missed quests etc.

I'm wondering how others approach multiple playthroughs? I'm gonna assume most people would just do different specific builds with perhaps different mods?

Personally I have never really gone for a "specific" build, particularly on a game as big as Skyrim which can be replayed many times.

I grab a dice and roll for chance all my skills/perks. I find this exciting never knowing where my character is headed and and guarantees no 2 characters will be the same.

As expected you tend to wind up with a balanced character that is capable in a number of areas, but is master of none usually.

As I have heard some complain Skyrim is too easy, this might help. You will be forced to use what you have to get by. That can fun and can make you use skills etc. you might never bother with for one reason or another. Also I have had many "Oh man not THAT skill perk"....hey that kinda rocks!"

Also "self imposed" rules. as in if "X" happens" I MUST do "Y" . Or perhaps I must ONLY carry x amount of health potions etc. I do this sometimes again to force myself to a style of play that might be interesting//challenging/ or not normally done just to add spice.

Anyone else do similar things?

Edited by BootsyFunk

I do things that are different, but are like "self imposed rules" of some sort. I do things to add to immersion sometimes. If I use a physical bow, I use a little trick that makes more than one weapon showing on the character. So I might have a shield in one hand, a one handed weapon on a hilt, and then the quiver with arrows equipped and then the bow on the character's back. I don't like them pulling a huge bow out of nowhere. I know, it gets unrealistic when you are carrying around 100+ potions and you carry around loot like armors and dragon bones, but I like to try and have the weapons I use be visible.

Sometimes, I'll opt for the DSpSoB mod (it puts shields on your back), and then I'll use a bound bow. I use these two mods in that case: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17775 and http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11476#content See the downloads section of the second one. Allows for different bound bows other than the Daedric one (like bound Dwarven Bow, bound Elven Bow, bound Hunting Bow, etc.).

Also, to add to immersion, I use the Basic Human Needs mod that requires your character to eat, drink, and sleep. What I'll do is that when I'm going to have a meal, I take a seat somewhere, remove the helmet, and then will drink two bottles of water or a bottle or water and some mead/wine/ale, and I'll eat what seems like a meal (for example, two rabbit haunches, a tomato, and some bread). If I'm out in the wilderness or in a dungeon and I need to eat, I'll just eat a small amount to satisfy the hunger, and usually will just do it standing up (with this mod, being hungry and thirsty and tired gives penalties to your stats). I carry around a sleeping bag. If I need to sleep away from a home or inn, I'll find shelter of some sort (a cave or dungeon, or something), and set up the sleeping bag and sleep. Usually, I make efforts to keep my character rested. They sleep everyday. If they will need sleep soon and I'm about to go on an adventure, I will sleep at a home or inn; get sleep somehow, and then go adventuring/set off on a quest.

Self imposed rules which i currently have

-Not using/wearing any gear unless I have crafted them (artifacts and spec items aside)

-Must use the Town Inn (I didnt buy Breezehome, so a visit to any major town is expensive, considering that I use perseid's Inns and Taverns)

-Never fast travel, unless by carriage

-Avoid travelling at night (my Enb + COT makes the very night dark and dangerous detours off cliffs are commonplace

-No horses on mountains (even up to High Hrofgar)

-Strip when swimming (Using frostfall makes it both immersive and challenging, but rewarding since its faster than by road + Better Swimming makes striping a necessity)