Change armor class

Kh47

I don't know if a mod like this already exists, but I had an idea when looking at all the incredible armor mods: is it possible to make a mod that adds a spell/power that changes the armor class of whatever you're wearing? (Clothes/Light/Heavy) Maybe by choosing it or cycling through the classes like clothes -> light armor -> heavy armor -> clothes.

This because maybe there are armors that are cool, but the wrong class to use on that character.

If you install Lazytools, you can change armor ratings and armor type, based on what you're wearing. (that is, It only acts on items currently being worn, although changes are "permanent" so you can remove items and they'll retain their new values.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/13381

One caveat. it's not a spell, but an MCM change.

Note that any change you make to a given item will affect all items of that name, so for instance, if you made an iron sword have a hit value of 1000, all "Iron Sword" would now have a hit value of 1000. If however, you enchanted said sword and renamed it as "Absurdly Overpowered Iron Sword", the change would not alter all "Iron Sword", just "absurdly Overpowered Iron Sword" (I think)

I haven't found one that does it with a spell or power - I found one that lets you generate a mod (using a Java program, strangely, rather than an xEdit script) that adds forge recipes for light versions of heavy armor, which is close to what you're looking for: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/19402/?tab=posts

As to whether it's possible: it should be with SKSE64 - I found some functions listed in the provided source files called GetWeightClass and SetWeightClass, so using those would presumably allow changing things on the fly. Personally, I think changing the weight class at the forge makes more sense (especially since a spell/power would have to affect all worn armor/clothes, or have different versions for "cycle weight class of boots", "... of gloves/bracers", etc.), so maybe someone who is good at writing xEdit scripts (I'm not) could make one to generate a mod to allow forging different variants of each armor/clothing from your existing mods.