Weapon enchantment on player?

starfire42

Main Question: Is there a way I can place a spell on the player such that when they strike an opponent (with any or no weapon) a magic effect activates on the object struck? (kind of like a weapon enchantment, but attached to the player rather than a weapon)

Background: I decided my first attempt at modding would be to fill what sounds like a fairly simple request: create a blessing for Meridia (similar for the blessings from the divines) that causes the player to do extra damage to undead. I think I've figured out the attack effect (x pts fire damage, only if target is type 'undead', no duration or radius). I'm thinking the next step is to create another magic effect of archetype 'weapon enhance' , then a spell or something that applies that effect to the player.

Related questions: How hard would it be to make the damage increase a percentage, rather than a straight number? (I'm not seeing any obvious way to do that, or any way it's been done, so I think it'll be pretty tough). Any other tips would be much appreciated, though I'm pretty good at finding tutorials on my own and building from examples.

I'm not 100% sure how these sorts of things work, but my personal thought would be to take the desired weapon based spell and pick another random passive spell (like +10 Health) to picky back it on, combining them into one spell, doing it this way the game tends to be more willing to accept 'incorrectly placed' enchantments. I tried something like this once giving a boost to fire damage when I player equipped a certain mechanical arm type thing. I never got it to work right, but I'm a dweeb at modding, but I felt like I was on to something. :unsure:

Background: I decided my first attempt at modding would be to fill what sounds like a fairly simple request: create a blessing for Meridia (similar for the blessings from the divines) that causes the player to do extra damage to undead.

This is actually not difficult:

Step 1: Make your "extra damage" spell -- sounds like you've done that already :thumbsup:

Step 2: Make a perk that uses the Apply Combat Hit Spell entry point to apply your "extra damage" spell.

Step 3: Make a spell (for this I'd choose an existing blessing and duplicate it) whose only effect is to apply the perk (Perk To Apply).

You can also make your "undead only" condition on the perk's entry point instead of on the spell -- in fact, that's exactly what I'd do, as it avoids the game engine having to process your spell on every attack.

Your new blessing will then grant your new perk to the player while it is active (and remove the perk when the blessing is lost); the perk ensures that every combat hit (armed or unarmed) does extra damage to undead by applying your "extra damage" spell.

Related questions: How hard would it be to make the damage increase a percentage, rather than a straight number? (I'm not seeing any obvious way to do that, or any way it's been done, so I think it'll be pretty tough). Any other tips would be much appreciated, though I'm pretty good at finding tutorials on my own and building from examples.

For this you would have to do some scripting, and I'm not sure how you would determine how much damage was done...

Nope, I take that back. For this approach, you would drop Step 1 above, and then in Step 2 you would instead use the perk entry point Mod Attack Damage to apply a multiplier to your dealt damage. Note that with this approach, however, you'd simply do more damage -- the extra damage wouldn't be fire damage as you have with your spell.

Thanks for the advice Kromey. I'll take a look at perks and the objects you mentioned. It looks a LOT easier than I envisioned. <br><br> And it doesn't need to be fire damage. I just chose that because I didn't see any obvious options for non-elemental damage or any examples that use it

<br><br>And thank for that tip ArtMurder. On the advice of one modding tutorial, I'll duplicate an existing object similar to the one I'm trying to create and simply edit the necessary properties.

Edited by starfire42