ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Need some advice on dealing with lag

formalrevya

I'm going to start by listing some basic spec information, though I don't know a whole lot about computers it really seems like I shouldn't have as much lag as I do.

Processors

4 Intel® Core i3-2350m CPU @2.3GHz

Ram-4GB

Graphics Card

Intel® HD Graphics 3000 with

Video Ram- 1.7 GB

and a 64 bit Operating system.

With most modern games I can run them just fine, Far Cry 3 being the most demanding game I've played recently and one I got through with no lag to speak of.

But for some reason fallout New Vegas seems to end up very choppy, even if I use minimal mods with the 4gb launcher and borderless windows on the lowest graphics setting.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if this has less to do with my hardware and more to do with the game itself ((I'm using the ultimate edition, so It has the latest updates))

Could anybody perhaps point me in the direction of a tweak guide so that I can adjust the game to make better use of my hardware, or tell me what is wrong with my current rig? Because it's gotten to the point where I can't play more than 30 minutes without the game freezing on me. And I honestly don't recall having these problems the first time I installed it.

Your system is not to different from mine(I'm on a laptop, I'm assuming yours is a desktop) - I used the bushes removed, grass removed and tumbleweeds removed mods, along with setting the graphics down to their lowest settings(no shadows, etc) and the game runs fairly well on my system. I still get some occasional lag on Lonesome Road and Dead Money, but most of it is when there is a shitload of action going on(LR, for example, in the tunnles after leaving hopeville, and SM after starting the opning gala, when there are a lot of the Ghost People showing up) - about 15 seconds or so each time, but clears up once the amount of "actors" onscreen die off. But other than that, the game runs pretty smoothly.

Try the three remover mods I suggested. Just one thing to note - if you start a new game with them active, it will cause you to NOT be able to draw your weapon, so start with them off, make your character, save and quit, then reload with them active.

If you still have lag, start turning your graphics settings for the game to a lower setting. Even on the lowest settings, it still looks pretty good, at least in my opinion.

Other than that, there are other performance tweak-type mods avaliable here on Nexus - I've never used them, but some of them duplicate the effects of others, so check up on them if you need to do more tweaking.

Edited by chrisinnyshotgun