Coronerras Skeleton & TES Construction Set issue.

EmperorPilaf

I worked for many hours on a mod without realizing that having Coronerras Maximum Compatibility Skeleton installed would have a negative effect.

All the Khajiit's & Argonians tails glitch and attach to a nearby object/ NPC.

My aim was to create a vanilla mod, a mod that would have no requirements.

I tried uninstalling all my mods, I uninstalled the construction set, the mod manager, and Oblivion..

I tried removing all the Khajiits & Argonians from my mod and saving a version.

I was able to create a version with no visible glitches by replacing the NPCs with tails with different races...

But the real problem is the effect it has on other users ability to use the construction set.

I installed my mod (the version without any visible glitches) on my friends computer, who didn't have the Coronerra Skeleton installed.

Everything seemed fine when I checked through every cell in the Construction Set.

But once I tried to create a Khajiit or Argonian the same issue spread to their construction set... Like a virus.

Even after I deleted my mod from their computer they were now stuck with this issue.

After seeing this happen I decided to take my mod down in fear that my problem would spread to other modders.

Is there any possible way to revert back so that the construction set looks only for the vanilla meshes?

Any suggestions or ideas on how to solve this problem are greatly appreciated.

I tried unpacking the nifs of the vanilla meshes and tried directing the Khajiits or Argonians to use the BeastSkeleton..

It still was acting messed up.

Edited by Emperor Pilaf

The trouble originates from the fact that skeletons aren't defined by the race but for each actor individually. You must take care your NPCs are set up so they use a skeleton with a tail, or they can't be members of the Beast Races.

I don't exactly know what Coronerra's does to "skeletonbeast.nif", but it definitely shouldn't just remove the tail from it.

Wasn't it actually rather adding a tail also to "skeleton.nif"? I think I remember it was being used to even "fix" the issue your encountering. So this happening to you "because" of using Coronerra's makes even less sense then.

It is a known issue getting NPCs with non-rigged tails stretching into infinity, but only caused by Beast Race members having "skeleton.nif" assigned for their armature, not the other way round.

Somewhere deep inside the ESP code there must be something defining which skeleton the player will use when of a certain race, as it isn't just an ordinary actor and can be of any race there is, but it's not part of the race records and so far I know nobody who has figured it out, why beast race players have tails and human players not, or how you can make your own custom beast race keep the tail, if there's no setting telling this.

And still, beast race actors all have their skeletons properly assigned to use the tailed ones. An ESP can't leave an alteration "stick" with the game once it's deactivated. Unless the data was imported into the bashed patch. In such case it needs recompiling for the setting to get lost as well. But then again, the bashed patch has to be recompiled every time you add, remove or alter a plugin in your load order already anyways.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

The trouble originates from the fact that skeletons aren't defined by the race but for each actor individually. You must take care your NPCs are set up so they use a skeleton with a tail, or they can't be members of the Beast Races.

I don't exactly know what Coronerra's does to "skeletonbeast.nif", but it definitely shouldn't just remove the tail from it.

Wasn't it actually rather adding a tail also to "skeleton.nif"? I think I remember it was being used to even "fix" the issue your encountering. So this happening to you "because" of using Coronerra's makes even less sense then.

It is a known issue getting NPCs with non-rigged tails stretching into infinity, but only caused by Beast Race members having "skeleton.nif" assigned for their armature, not the other way round.

Somewhere deep inside the ESP code there must be something defining which skeleton the player will use when of a certain race, as it isn't just an ordinary actor and can be of any race there is, but it's not part of the race records and so far I know nobody who has figured it out, why beast race players have tails and human players not, or how you can make your own custom beast race keep the tail, if there's no setting telling this.

And still, beast race actors all have their skeletons properly assigned to use the tailed ones. An ESP can't leave an alteration "stick" with the game once it's deactivated. Unless the data was imported into the bashed patch. In such case it needs recompiling for the setting to get lost as well. But then again, the bashed patch has to be recompiled every time you add, remove or alter a plugin in your load order already anyways.

Thank you for your feedback DrakeTheDragon.

How Coronerras Skeleton adds a tail to the original skeleton may be the root of my problem. I started the mod with Coronerras Skeleton installed, so every time someone with the construction set opens the mod without the skeleton installed it starts looking for Coronerras Skeleton for the beast races.

What I don't get is why the construction set gets hung up, even in a brand new mod it starts looking for Coronerras Skeleton and the problem continues where the beast races bodies will not appear in the NPC creation window. Even after I remove all mods and uninstall & reinstall everything.

I believe the only way to create Khajiits and Argonians now is to modify an existing NPC from the Vanilla version instead of making a brand new one.

Eh, I guess this is just the price I pay for a lack of foresight.

A suggestion for future reference ... Multiple Oblivion Manager - MOM allows you to have completely separate mod environments. If you used Bben46's Revert to vanilla data on one profile you could use that one for modding.