SKSE suddenly won't launch the game from Mod Organizer 2.

TreshMek

This thread has a similar problem as mine, but in my case Mod Organizer simply "gives up" trying to launch the game through SKSE. All mods are up to date as I have just downloaded them all a week before. Even today, I was able to launch the game with no problems. When I try to run the game through SKSE, the Organizer appears to load the game (with Steam showing that I am currently playing Skyrim SE) but then immediately stops. Not a CTD; the game doesn't even begin running before Mod Organizer 2 gives up trying to launch the game.

I'm not even close to the plugin limit and I have never encountered this problem before.

Update: so it definitely has something to do with the number of plugins I have... which is strange considering I had upwards of 140+ in Fallout 4. I also clearly remember having 110+ plugins in a previous modded playthrough of Skyrim SE. Right now, SKSE won't launch the game with a plugin count past 70. This is as irritating as it is strange.

Update 2: I'm currently reinstalling and redownloading everything from scratch. The game itself, SKSE, even MO2. So far so good (read: I can launch the game) and I am at 85 plugins enabled.

Update 3 (hopefully last): Everything works as normal again! Nothing like a complete reinstall to fix all of modded life's problems. I don't know why a complete reinstall and complete redownload of everything made the game launch properly again... but I'm glad that it does.

Update 4: nope. The game's not launching anymore again. It was launching through SKSE this morning and now... it isn't. I give up.

Edited by TreshMek

I'm guessing that a DLL is failing to load. DLL could be out of sync version with SKSE or corrupted somehow. Might even need a special DLL loader. SKSE could be corrupted.

Or you loaded everything under the Windows program files folder and Windows Security is stopping you when a certain plugin is activated. In this case, you need to reinstall game and everything else in another folder.

I think the thread you identified is fundamentally correct and you need to methodically test each DLL load.

If it's a missing master (ie: ESP) then you would get to the launch screen before the crash, which could be immediate.

From the SKSE64 download site:

"Having crashes on startup after a game patch? Remove the files from Data/SKSE/Plugins and try again. Mods using plugins probably need to be updated."

Set up a test profile in MO2 and start unchecking DLLs (plugins) and associated MODs (Mods that require the plugin) one at a time then launching. If this identifies the DLL mod, check the version with required version of SKSE. If that checks out then remove the DLL, download the DLL again, reinstall, and test. If this doesn't identify the DLL, then you have to approach the problem by unchecking all mods, reinstalling SKSE64, and loading one at a time to see if there are several DLLs at fault.

I'm guessing that a DLL is failing to load. DLL could be out of sync version with SKSE or corrupted somehow. Might even need a special DLL loader. SKSE could be corrupted.

Or you loaded everything under the Windows program files folder and Windows Security is stopping you when a certain plugin is activated. In this case, you need to reinstall game and everything else in another folder.

I think the thread you identified is fundamentally correct and you need to methodically test each DLL load.

If it's a missing master (ie: ESP) then you would get to the launch screen before the crash, which could be immediate.

"Having crashes on startup after a game patch? Remove the files from Data/SKSE/Plugins and try again. Mods using plugins probably need to be updated."

Set up a test profile in MO2 and start unchecking DLLs (plugins) and associated MODs (Mods that require the plugin) one at a time then launching. If this identifies the DLL mod, check the version with required version of SKSE. If that checks out then remove the DLL, download the DLL again, reinstall, and test. If this doesn't identify the DLL, then you have to approach the problem by unchecking all mods, reinstalling SKSE64, and loading one at a time to see if there are several DLLs at fault.

Ah, shucks.

Well, I don't have the mod organizer files (or anything related to the mods) under the program files folder. So that's a step done. Alas, the "redownloading and reinstalling" part I mentioned was the manual check/uncheck of each plugin. I spent the better part of the day doing that process.

Thanks for the help, though. I'll start with your guidelines once I get the motivation to do so. I'm just so tired of modding being really unstable, you know?

Edited by TreshMek

Ah, shucks.

Well, I don't have the mod organizer files (or anything related to the mods) under the program files folder. So that's a step done. Alas, the "redownloading and reinstalling" part I mentioned was the manual check/uncheck of each plugin. I spent the better part of the day doing that process.

Thanks for the help, though. I'll start with your guidelines once I get the motivation to do so. I'm just so tired of modding being really unstable, you know?

Take a look at the TUCO mod guide. It was REALLY helpful for me in getting my mod load right. I deviated though, I used LOOT and loaded other mods to better populate Skyrim SE. I also browsed other Guides for mod compatibilities. So far my game has been stable with 243 Mods. I'm still learning!

Pay special attention to your PC's capabilities and the world space graphics. My most problematic mods are people replacers like Bijin, Pandorable, and men of winter; I got dark face until I finally loaded them at the very bottom of my load order (below the Bash Patch). I'm terrible at creating patches.

TUCO Guide:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10694

• 1 month later...

Necrobumping but I figured out a workaround to my specific problem. I... simply redownloaded any mod with a plugin that caused the SKSE to "give up" loading the game. The majority of my mods are fine, but the troublesome plugins apparently needed a new download. There are still some mods that refuse to allow the game to launch. Otherwise, it's smooth sailing for me.

Whats your load order and what sorta bug fixes do you use?

I've been modding (MO2) SE for the past week and haven't had any problems related to SKSE.

My load order is 50% armor and weapon mods, 20% new lands and new character mods, 20% animation and script mods, and 10% lewd mods. It also includes "must-have" mods like SkyUI, the Unofficial Patch, and the XPMSSE skeleton. I usually limit myself to less than 180 plugins. My computer can't handle "ultra-modded" load orders, plus I haven't mastered the art of merging .esp files.

As for bug fixes, not much to be honest. If anything, I just shift around the load order and update mods that need one.

The SKSE not launching the game was entirely new to me. My only option that I knew that was a surefire fix was to redownload everything from scratch. At least, redownload or remove mods troublesome plugins.

Edit: attached the mod list as of today.

Edited by TreshMek

Double check any of your mods that might be for LE and not SE; I see you got Sky_UI, but is it Sky_UI_SE?

Aside from that you have Nemesis and FNIS Behavior mod installed; both do the same thing so you need to pick one or the other. You can use Nemesis with FNIS sexy move 'n other FNIS add-ons since Nemesis generates an FNIS esp for mods that require it. Nemesis doesn't work with certain NSFW animations, you can safely look up which, but FNIS does them all.

Also, get WyreBash and make a Bashpatch so any mods that modify level lists for actors will get updated by the bashpatch and not blow up your game randomly.

Bashpatch also lets you manually look at your plugins and gives a visual indicator of whether or not you should rearrange them (green = perfect, yellow = load order error, red = missing master).

Double check any of your mods that might be for LE and not SE; I see you got Sky_UI, but is it Sky_UI_SE?

Aside from that you have Nemesis and FNIS Behavior mod installed; both do the same thing so you need to pick one or the other. You can use Nemesis with FNIS sexy move 'n other FNIS add-ons since Nemesis generates an FNIS esp for mods that require it. Nemesis doesn't work with certain NSFW animations, you can safely look up which, but FNIS does them all.

Also, get WyreBash and make a Bashpatch so any mods that modify level lists for actors will get updated by the bashpatch and not blow up your game randomly.

Bashpatch also lets you manually look at your plugins and gives a visual indicator of whether or not you should rearrange them (green = perfect, yellow = load order error, red = missing master).

I know all of that.

I'm just not in a hurry to use Wyrebash or Bashpatch. Everything seems fine to me and I'm happy where I'm at.