Horror/Survival Mod Idea

jc_madden

I have an idea for a game but I'm not sure if it's possible, I have only minimal experience modding Morrowind. As I played Fallout 3 I really enjoyed certain very creepy moments (Dunwich anyone?) and I would like to explore that more. My idea is for a super vault, a really really big vault, something like the complex from the Resident Evil movie. You start somewhere near the bottom and the whole goal of the game is survival and escape. Ammo should be scarce, combat real and gritty, action tense, story scary and yet compelling. Just like the core game your character's actions should have an effect on the "world" around you.

So what it needs:

Be a standalone game, bypassing the original start. (Can you remove the Fallout 3 data file?)

Ability to craft ammo and chemicals.

Scarcity of Ammo and Chemical.

Reliance on irradiated water and food.

Some new scary critters.

A map. Something like the Capital Wasteland map but of the whole complex overall.

Another aspect of the game I want to see is something akin to the Metroid games where you may have to go back and revisit certain areas and they may be changed.

Is this doable? Can someone point me in the right direction for guides and FAQs to help? Would anyone like to work on it with me?

But thats what you described, sans the technology.

Arx fatalis is set in a post-apoc world where people are forced to live underground cause the surface is a uninhabitable winter wasteland.

It's got a compelling storyline and scary critters.. and probably some slime or lava somewhere.

You can craft alot of stuff, and stuff is scarce.

And if you go back to places you've visited before, things definitely change.

The game world is a complex series of caverns and caves and dungeons, practically a supervault already.

Perhaps what would be in order would be a bundle package of ultra realism mods ( to help bring the survival vibe into focus ) coupled with an assortment of horror orientated mods. For the latter category, I've already seen a few that would certainly help bring some macabre grit to things. Such as darker nights, increased gore, better limb dismemberment, etc. Resident Evil scares ( boo! moments ) can be brought about by setting up arbitrary spawn scripts and triggered audio bits, while Silent Hill scares can be achieved by investing some time into the vault / dungeon itself and mastering the psychological nuances of horror.

With the added bonus of an actual quest based story incorporated into mod, preferably through scattered holotapes, I can see this idea having a whole lot of potential. If any modder out there is willing to take this one up, they'd have my frothing support.

Archived