NPC logical fleeing

T4LGooose

Alright, personally, I'm tired of fighting tough as nails, rambo, npcs. You know what I'm talking about, the lone raider that thinks he's going to try and kill you with a nail board when you have a missile launcher aiming right at him. Yeah, I would be booking it if I was him.

So, here's the concept:

If you have a weapon with a potential damage (not the actual damage, for the npc isn't going to know the difference between a near broken shotgun and a top of the line one) that is higher that the potential damage of the weapon the npc has, the difference between the two should be factored in to a chance roll for an npc to say "screw this!" and drop his weapon and take off running.

Things that should also play into this percent chance should be things like:

Amount of friends the npc has near him (maybe depending on the amount of people, you can divide up the "flee" percentage)

Amount of companions you have and their weapons potential damage

Your distance from the npc (farther away, the less important this is to the npc. Right up in his face? Yeah, I think he'd crap his pants)

The npc's health (I realize this is already in game, but it still needs to be a factor)

And the players health/injuries (making the player look more vulnerable, thus giving the npcs a window of opportunity.).

These should all influence a percentage of the npcs success rate, thus calculating their confidence level.

But Goose! Raiders and Super Mutants aren't exactly rational things!:

Yes, given, Raiders and Super mutants are god damn crazy, but they still value their life to a certain extent. Maybe Super Mutants should be exempt from this little mod due to their barbaric nature and "I don't give a crap" attitude.

But this should work with ALL human npcs! Not just raiders!

Well, I hope this idea is doable. I'm obviously not a modder, so I have no idea, but it seems very plausible.

I hope others think this is a good idea.

Thanks!

I'm pretty much bumping this...but

This needs to be done. I don't see a reason why it isn't possible. Maybe at a future date if not now. Robots should be able to calculate during battle an exact percent of being destroyed or not and decide if it is best to flee or not. So if there are a few stray robots firing at you, and you turn on them with a mini nuke, they'll figure, "Hey, lets get out of here and flank him later."

Humans=Maybe I can take them/I'm running before this guy kills me

Robots=My percent of winning is very high/I should stay away/I can always come back later

Yeah it would make sense, I'd personally wouldn't rush a guy with a rocket launcher if all I had was a knife (unless I was behind him and he hasn't noticed me yet ;) ).

But is it possible to impliment? I'm tempted to say not realy, but then my knowlege of modding is severly limited, so what do I know, eh?

Definitely a good idea. It should apply to supermutants too, although they should probably just be a lot more ballsy. The only thing I don't think it should apply to is animals that would be too dumb to tell the difference. Dogs I dunno, but probably not molerats or bugs. They probably shouldn't drop their weapon when they flee though. That wouldn't be very smart.

I'd actually like to see an A.I. overhaul that included this, along with some other things, like looting.

I'd like to see deathclaws and outcasts and talon company actually hunt and not just randomly spawn and bumrush the first thing they see..

Ie: You'd kinda expect a deathclaw to use their sneakyness and high perception, and their nocturnal attunement to their advantage.

i just wanted to show you this :)

http://www.spookingtons.com/spresents/spresent900001.jpg

Hahahahaha that's so true!

I think this is a great idea, but wouldn't it interfere with the main quest somehow? People who're supposed to attack you will flee instead? What do you think?

i just wanted to show you this :)

http://www.spookingtons.com/spresents/spresent900001.jpg

Hahahahaha that's so true!

I think this is a great idea, but wouldn't it interfere with the main quest somehow? People who're supposed to attack you will flee instead? What do you think?

Most of those people are pretty well-armed.

Or I think there could be exceptions in the .esp for them.

Archived