How to edit a someone else's Mod

sightone

I downloaded a .esp file and want to edit it. I want to edit the crap out of it such that it is basically a whole new mod, but since this is a basement for the Heljarchen house, and I want to make it completely different, this is a good starting point. I can use the rooms, and maybe expand them a bit, but most of everything else will go. In short, "Heljarchen Cellar fully upgraded" doesn't work for me. It is a great mod, but I want something different. I want to create a barracks, pub, and armory for my 5 followers. The problem is, I can't even find the Heljarchen house in the CK. I should note that if I try to select the Hearthfire master file, the CK has errors and then crashes before it ever gets it loaded.

Is there a way to just open that esp file I downloaded and work from there? I open the CK and select data, but I don't get a single mod. The only things that show up are the Skyrim, update, Dragonborn, Hearthfire, Dawnguard, and HighResTextruePack files. Not one single mod I have loaded shows as a possibility to load. Also, I don't want to load this cellar into my game only to have to then overwrite it with my cellar.

I have the same issue! It won't show my mods in File -> Data.

• 5 months later...

Download CK, open it, click File>Data, tick Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, and the .esp of whatever your mod is, click "Set As Active File" when the mod you want to edit's .esp is highlighted, click OK, then find the spells with spelling errors in the object window (use the tabs at the side or click All and use the search), double click to edit and make your corrections. I think some spells will need you to edit the spell effect descriptions, but I'm not sure.

Hi, I'm super new and I'm confused how can my changes take effect? So I have corrected some names. I believe it was an apparel since it's got a shield symbol. I correct the name already but don't know what to do next. I was thinking hit save >> it asked me to name the file and where to save it and that's when I'm lost. It's asking me to save it as a .esp file. I named the file and saved it but when I open the game, it's not there.

Do I really have to make a save or should closing the creating kit do? Do I have to reinstall the mod for the changes to take effect?

Edited by Ydril

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...