New hard drive...

hemandude01

So, I just placed an order for recovery disks so I can install windows 7 on this comp when the hard drive is replaced.

When I do get it replaced, the laptop will be like brand new. When i do this, will my mods carry over from Steam/NMM or will it be brand new?

I want it to be brand new, because I want vanilla back anyway....

Like Xai said, the mods won't be saved. However, if you have mods from the Steam Workshop that you subscribe to, Steam should download and install them after you get it reinstalled in Windows 7.

If you have an external HDD, you can copy the mods you have downloaded through NMM to it and recopy them over. To get to the folder, in NMM, click the folder at the top left then click "Open NMM's Mods Folder." That will open the folder where NMM puts all the archive files it downloads from Nexus. Copy all those (as well as the "categories" folder (if you have custom categories) to the external. After you install NMM again, use the same method to copy the NMM mods and categories without having to go and find them all again on the site.

If you are doing a full back to factory recovery. Nothing is saved. As you say "the laptop will be like brand new." Therefore no part of the game will remain.

You will have a clean slate to reinstall the game. However, Steam will still try to reload any mods you 'subscribed' to on steam. Be sure to unsubscribe to all steam mods.

The Nexus doesn't do this and any Nexus mods will be gone. You will need to re download any of the Nexus mods you want - and SKSE, Wrye Bash and any other utility program not 'subscribed' to on steam.