Change existing facetints?

So first of all, I'm not exactly a modder. But since my problem requires some fiddling around in gamefiles, I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Currently I'm using a mod called High Poly NPC overhaul. The mod is using warpaints I'm not exactly fond of, so I want to see if I can change them.

Since the warpaints are applied to .dds files in the facetints folder, I want to see if its possible to "update" them with the warpaints mod I have currently installed.

Now I have very limited experience with Creation Kit or xEdit, so I dont know if the process is as easy as clicking a button and grabbing some coffee or having to change every facetint individually for hours.

I have tried searching up info about this, but I could not exactly find what I was looking for.

If anyone can help me out with this and show me how its done, it would be very appreciated.

Unfortunately no coffee break for you, I'm afraid....

The only way I know of to change facetint files is to create new ones in game with a tool like Racemenu or ECE. You would then save the new tintmask (in Racemenu you would export the head from the "sculpt" tab) and replace the old file with it. When using this method, make sure the new facetint file has the exact same name as the old one, otherwise you'll get ugly brown faces...

The difficult (or rather tedious) thing is that you would have to look up the skin color values of the NPC in the Creation KIt or SSEEdit before and give your "test character" in Racemenu the exact same skin color. Otherwise you'd get neck seams.

As you see, it's doable - but it's quite some work if we're talking about several NPCs.

Maybe a better alternative would be a mod that let's you edit actors in game. If I remember right, there once was a mod that let you change other NPCs in game. Basically this mod opened Racemenu not for the player character, but also NPCs. Unfortunately I can't find it any more. Maybe someone else remembers it? The follower mod EFF (Extensible Follower Framemork) also has a similar function. It is limited to followers though.