Oblivion isn't working

GideonRavenor40k

I start it up after not playing for awhile, with a clean install and mods installed. It freezes at the end of the intro movies, before the main menu. I got rid of the mods, and it still does the same thing. I validated the files, with Steam, and it said 6 were missing. I reaquired them, thinking that would solve the problem, and it didn't. I'm at a loss. I have the GOTY edition.

Edited by GideonRavenor40k

Try renaming your Oblivion.ini (found in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion for Vista and Win 7 or Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion for Win XP NOT the file Oblivion_default.ini found in your game's Oblivion folder). Change the name to Oblivionini.old and then start the game as far as the menu screen. Exit the game to desktop and it will build a new Oblivion.ini and redetect your hardware. You will probably need to go into the game menus and reset your screen options. If the new Oblivion.ini works you can use your Oblivionini.old to transfer any special ini tweaks you had made over to your new Oblivion.ini.

Re-installing may be the easiest solution. When you say you got rid of the mods do you mean you uninstalled them or did you just deactivate them?

If you do decide to go the re-install route I suggest having a look through Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure. If you currently have the game installed in the default location (C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files) this would be a perfect opportunity to get the game installed in C:\Games. As it seems you have the Steam version of the game don't miss the link near the top of the page about moving your Steam install location, and also don't skip the registry cleaning step.

When you do get the game working don't install any mods until you have completed the tutorial dungeon. Make a save just before you exit the sewers (when you can see the exit in the distance before you get the character finalization menus). This save will be used if you want to start a new game in the future but don't want to go through the whole tutorial again. After you exit the sewer make another save, not overwriting the first. Then go to the IC Market District and make another save, again not overwriting the first two. Use this third save for testing mods as you add them one at a time. If you add mods one at a time it's pretty easy to figure out problems when and if they occur. Once you get your mods installed you can continue your game from the outside the sewer exit save.