Blender help

Jaege

neomonkeus, on 22 Feb 2013 - 14:10, said:

Jaege, on 22 Feb 2013 - 13:22, said:

Jaege, on 22 Feb 2013 - 18:17, said:

I recently found that site, but thank you none the less. I think that may resolve the problem with not being able to import to blender. Do you mean software versions of blender/PyFFI/Python? I will post those if the problem is not resolved. Thanks again. I realise that these seem like foolish questions to all of you who have been using these programs for a while, but to noobs like myself we look at this stuff and stare mystified.

That was friendly advice, noob is such a derogatory term, everyone has start somewhere so you might aswell start at the beginning, often better than where other do. :wink:
Noob may be derogatory but it just seems to fit me when I stare at the unfathomable abyss of Fallout modding. Although I can use the geck pretty well and can modify others mods to my liking. So I am not completely stupid :smile:

Right now I am using Python 2.6.4, PyFFI 2.1.11, Blender 2.49, and Nifscripts 2.5.8. I got it all loaded and working correctly and even successfully blended my first bouncing breast armor. It imported, blended and exported fine (although I did get a lot of those "some faces are not assigned" messages, but did successfully corrected them.

Now my problem is that when trying to blend a new model, I keep getting one of these messages: "when dealing with 2 or more objects with vgroups there must be an active object to be used as a source" and/or "more than 1 mesh has a vertex weight only select 1 mesh with weight". I have no idea what either of these messages mean or how to correct the issue. I believe that I am doing everything the same way as the first successful try.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for all the input so far. Those sites have been very useful.

One other small thing. I noticed that the armor I have successfully "blended" will not stay in a hot key slot. Is there a setting I have to initialize to get them to do that?

Edited by Jaege

Nah, that's not foolish at all. It's quite a file and version chaos.

There's also a handy tut for installing Blender here:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Installation_of_Blender

In regards of the file versions, as a rule, atm I only use 32 bit and all files for Phyton 2.6.6 and Blender 2.49b.

And also important: in Nifscope change the file version to 20.2.0.7

which is the current Fallout nif version.

Render -> Settings -> General -> Startup Version -> 20.2.0.7

Then take your main focus on using Nifscope rather then Blender since the latter does not export everything you may want.

I do not understand. Could I do the bouncing breast modification with just nifscope?

Depends on what you want to modify. You can do a lot in Nifscope. If you need to work on the shape itself, you need blender for that.

But you still may have to work with nifscope, here an example, don't know whether this is up to date or not:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Avoiding_Blender_animation_pitfalls

Blender however does not export a few things, like some shaders, which might be needed to be set in nifscope manually.

Best way to go in my opinion is to open the original mesh in Nifscope and then open the new mesh in a second instance of nifscope and copy the new shape you made with blender into the original mesh. You may have to reorder and link nodes and stuff.

I'm not the one to explain this. And all these internals are way beyond me. neomonkeus can help you way better than I can.

You already know a lot btw, there still are problems here and there. Yes, that's modding as I know it.

I'd compare all the data blocks of the original mesh and yours in Nifscope. And, as said, maybe just pasting the new shape into the old mesh, relinking parents with children.

Edited by tortured Tomato

Sounds like you have not weighted the vertices. This is used to tell the bones which vertice they influence and how much they can. Check out blender.org's wiki for some tutorial on the subject or most modding tutorials will go through it to some degree.

Thanks, that led me to my mistake. Apparently the order in which you choose your meshes to blend is important. Once I chose in the right order they blended just fine and exported fine too. I have completed a second model and am working on a third. Surprisingly easy to add that process, once you know what you are doing. But I suppose brain surgery is easy to a brain surgeon. Again, thanks for all the help everyone.

edit: nevermind, I just realized that I was completely off

Did the hotkey problem disappear?

(Not having a clue, just being curious ^^)

Do not know yet. I am still altering armors. As soon as I load to check a new one I will check.

Looks like the quick slot problem resolved itself. I have another question. A few times when I check my work in-game, I have noticed a sections of the new armor that have large red blobs like red wax on the model. Anyone know what is the cause of that and how to get rid of it?