(Armorbashing) blender doesn't export some piece

Noswald95

So i've been working on an armorbash for the pass 2 days. The male version of the outfit is done, cleaned the polygons and whatnot.

But i'm encountering problems when making the female version.

after cleaning up the model in blender 2.49 and then open it up in nifskope the chest piece and the shirt portion of the outfit don't appear for some reason.

then i tested several other female outfits, importing and exporting them through blender and opening up them up in nifskope. They worked fine.

what's a possible explanation for this?

EDIT: Might have a solution for the arms problem by linking the hazard arms and shirt together, they'll share a texture but it doesn't seem to bad.. The chest piece still doesn't get exported though

Edited by Noswald95

Sounds like the affected parts are missing a shader. Do they have a material assigned in blender?

Alternatively could you upload the mesh? It's always easier to tell what the issue is when the file can be directly examined.

Sounds like the affected parts are missing a shader. Do they have a material assigned in blender?

Alternatively could you upload the mesh? It's always easier to tell what the issue is when the file can be directly examined.

I don't recall assigning material for the parts (chest plate, shirt, scarf

I actually already used the alternative method stated previously to finish the outfit. As for the other missing parts, i just open up the uncleaned prototype model and repaste the pieces that didn't carry over in the export.

Sure i can upload the mesh, here's the NIF file and the Blendersave file their both in my google drive. (Note the blender save has already done most mesh clean up except for the arms while the NIF file is the initial rough assembly.)

You don't technically need to rename the pieces. NiTriShapes can be named Scene Root, there's not going to be an issue. It's only a problem when you have more than one NiNode called Scene Root. I still recommend renaming the parts to ensure that the outfit works correctly in 1st person. Generally you need to name parts that are supposed to appear in 1st person Arms (or if you have more than one arm part, you continue with Arms:0, Arms:1). Parts that should not appear in 1st person (mainly to avoid clipping) need to have Upperbody in the name (the naming convention is the same here. Upperbody:0, Upperbody:1). You can compare your mesh to a vanilla mesh to get an idea of the pattern being used, because I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering this all right.

Now to adress the issue you had in the first place. The pieces are missing a material property, that's why they appear invisible. This likely happened because you copied those parts from a mesh that had a combined material property which is often done for optimization.

Right-Click on the affected part of your mesh, go to Node/ Attach Property and select NiMaterialProperty.

U5yZKGO.png

Now your block should have a material property and appear in game. No Need to change any values, unless you want to make that part of the mesh super glossy or something.

Let me know if you still have any questions or don't understand something. I honestly suck at explaining and there's always a chance that I forgot to mention something :blush:

I have had some armor mods that continually us arms, upperbody, sceneroot, etc for naming the NiTriShapes and I have always changed them to reflect what the part actually is.

I could never understand why someone would have various arms or upperbody parts. The only thing I could come up with is that the mod author accepts the label given by NifSkope and doesn't bother to change it or know how to change it.

I have had numerous armor mashups where I added parts in Blender that would export with two SceneRoots and would immediately crash the game.

As soon as I removed one, the game returned to stable.

I have continually renamed arms to Body, UpperBody to Shirt, Blouse or Chest armor, etc. without any problem.

Doing this I won't have to keep highlighting the parts to see what they are. Again, I have done this and there has never been a problem with the display in the game.

valuable advice this has been, thanks AusAllerWelt and M48A5.

Though i do have another nif altering question. I've tried a few times to get specific mesh pieces by deleting the rest of the mesh in blender (for example removing the back and bottom half of the OWB stealthsuit chestpiece)

and then exporting it out. But when i open the cut off piece in Nifskope, it just loads the whole piece like nothing happened. What's up with that?

You are doing something wrong when you export the piece. Are you giving the exported piece a unique name when you export it? Or just a version number?

I usually add a number after the item name and before the .esp. Like WastelandArmor2.esp. Are you sure you are exporting it to the same file you imported it from?

I have never had this happen with the hundreds of pieces of armor I have altered in the same way.

i have encountered another problem..... my hat doesn't fully load in the geck.

It's has 2 parts. The grass hat part and the vault security helmet "headstraps" that i got tailor maid

also my new outfit is done and filed it in the geck, but the test npcs in there won't put em on after i put the outfits in their inventory tab. Was i suppose to add something else?

You are doing something wrong when you export the piece. Are you giving the exported piece a unique name when you export it? Or just a version number?

I usually add a number after the item name and before the .esp. Like WastelandArmor2.esp. Are you sure you are exporting it to the same file you imported it from?

I have never had this happen with the hundreds of pieces of armor I have altered in the same way.

your not talking about the save file name are you?

Edited by Noswald95