Weapons show 0 damage

ScrufffyJoe

I've been playing Skyrim a lot lately and using a lot of mods, but I have run into a bug that I believe is from the vanilla game, and I was hoping you guys could help fix it.

All weapons (arrows included) show a rating of 0 for the damage they do, but I still can do what feels like the amount of damage I could do before using them.

At first I thought this was a mod issue but now I believe it's a save issue, as I tried uninstalling a few mods and none fixed it, but when I go back to an old save (with all my mods active) and it works fine. Only thing is the issue appeared too long ago for me to be happy just reverting back to an old save :/

(I have checked and I am not suffering any ailment in game that causes weapons to do no damage, btw)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

I could be wrong, but it seems to me like that may be a bug or conflict related to a sorting mod. Just to be clear, it does appear like the weapon(s) are actually dealing the correct amount of damage in combat, just that the listed amounts in the menu screen incorrectly state the weapon damage is zero, correct?

I could be wrong, but it seems to me like that may be a bug or conflict related to a sorting mod. Just to be clear, it does appear like the weapon(s) are actually dealing the correct amount of damage in combat, just that the listed amounts in the menu screen incorrectly state the weapon damage is zero, correct?

Yeah, that's exactly the problem. I've had SkyUI installed for a very long time, I think that's the only mod I have that does some kind of sorting, I'll go try uninstalling that one, then.

EDIT: Uninstalled SkyUI and it didn't fix the problem :/ You could of course still be right about that being the problem, though.

Edited by ScrufffyJoe

SkyUI doesn't sort or affect in-game items in any way, it is limited to menu customization only. It is very unlikely to be the cause of the issue. When I mention 'sorting mod' it is a mod that specifically renames, or moves items around (via leveled lists). One of the most well known examples is here:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/2730

However, adjusting the stats on weapons (their damage, enchantments, weight, etc.) can also be related. Overhaul mods such as SkyRE often modify these attributes to rebalance the game. If you have a combination of overhaul and/or sorting mods, they can step on each other toes and you can get weirdness like what you are experiencing (item duplication in crafting menus is another common occurrence are you seeing that as well?) If you post your BOSS report, it will be easier to help you track down the culprit (be sure to use

tags in your reply).

Some ideas to try to look for behavior patterns. When you experiment with these below, does the weapon damage remain at zero?

- Does it matter if the weapon is crafted, bought, looted, or spawned with the console?

- Are leveled items (eg. 'chillrend') affected?

- If you upgrade an item at the grinder or place an enchantment on it, is there a change?

- Does the weapon type matter? (sword/bow/1h/2h/etc.)

A few more things to check:

- Does it affect damage for magic/shouts/etc as well?

- Are armor values affected?

- Are weights or any other variables affected as far as you can tell?

Lastly (or perhaps firstly) you should try disabling ALL mods and see if the behavior continues. If the values return to normal, you'll know its one (or more) of your current mods. If the values remain at zero, chances are more likely that an orphaned script is in play.

Edit: *sigh* That forum hotfix cannot come quick enough.

Ok, well clearly I don't know what I'm doing so for that I must apologise, and thank you for being patient

I turned off all plugins and it did in fact fix my issue, so you're right there.

Now I'm going to go through that list and try and answer as well as I can

-Nope, doesn't matter at all, all weapons suffer. Even when improved at a grindstone it just changes from 0 to 0.

-As I didn't have any levelled items I'm not sure, I did spawn in Chillrend though and it also had 0 damage.

-As said earlier, no change in the value if enchanted or improved.

-Nope, all weapons have 0 damage, even arrows.

-Magic and shouts show correct values, so it's just weapons.

-Armour is fine, they all show the correct values (as far as I can tell)

-Weights, value etc. all seem good to me. It's just a change to damage.

Now I'm off to go try and get you my BOSS log, don't judge me for the sheer number of mods I have installed, I know it's too many >.<

After that I'll install Better Sorting, see if that has any effect.

BOSS:

These plugins are recognised by BOSS and have been sorted according to its masterlist. Please read any attached messages and act on any that require action.

• Skyrim.esm Active
  • Update.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 73 ITM, 1 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Dragonborn.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 57 ITM, 8 UDR records with 3.0.28. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • CLARALUX - More and Brighter Lights.esm Active
    • Note: Obsolete. Update to the latest version.
  • phiNoFF.esm Active
  • Ranger Ridge.esm Active
  • SPIKE.esm Active
  • WARZONES - Civil Unrest.esm Active
    • Contains dirty edits: 66 ITM, 1 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
  • Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}
  • Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp Active
  • BellyachesNewDragonSpecies.esp Active
  • UnlimitedBookshelves.esp Active
  • Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons v2.0.esp Active
  • SkyUI.esp Active
  • Cloaks.esp Active
  • Cloaks - No Imperial.esp Active
    • Note: Use only one cloaks*esp
  • Cloaks - Player Only.esp Active
    • Note: Use only one cloaks*esp
  • Craftable Arrows.esp Active
  • hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp Active
  • ImmersiveArmorsNPCs.esp Active
  • Smithing Perks Overhaul - Balanced.esp Active
    • Note: Does not contain unexpected (or out of order) records or TESVSnip truncation issues as found in other mods by various authors. However, a newer esp fixed and cleaned with TES5Edit can be obtained here that may provide added stability. (Compatibility Patch)
  • DeadlyDragons.esp Active
  • minerfriends.esp
    • Contains dirty edits: 23 ITM, 0 UDR records. Needs TES5Edit cleaning. A cleaning guide is available here.
  • Ranger Ridge.esp Active
  • whiterun spruce by revan1199.esp Active
  • KDC - kevinsterable - Deadly Stronger Poisons.esp Active
  • Acquisitive Soul Gems.esp
  • AchieveThat.esp Active
  • Hide_All_Helms_and_Hoods.esp Active
  • Immersive Weapons.esp Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}
  • SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp Active
  • dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp Active
  • TwoRings.esp Active
  • skyrim improved magic system.esp Active
  • ezpick.esp Active
  • Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp Active
    • Note: Use only one Dual Wield Parrying*.esp
  • AT - Faster Arrows Improved +50%.esp Active
  • AT - Progressive Damage (Vanilla).esp Active
  • AT - Recover +25% Arrows.esp Active
  • Height Adjusted Races with True Giants v4.esp Active
    • Note: Use only one Height Adjusted Races*.esp
  • rcrnShaders.esp Active
    • Note: Make sure you have bEnableFileSelection=1 in SkyrimPrefs.ini under [Launcher].
  • RCRNvolumetric.esp Active
  • WATER.esp Active
  • WATER Plants.esp Active
  • WATER DB Waves.esp Active

Better Sorting (unsurprisingly) did not resolve the issue. For now I'm just going to go through and individually uninstall mods, see if removing any can fix the issue. Keep you updated :wink:

Edited by ScrufffyJoe

Edit - Just saw your edit. Joe, don't just uninstall mods. That leads to orphaned scripts and possibly a corrupted save that will be very difficult to salvage. Instead, just disable them 1 at a time and run the game. Only uninstall if you are certain you have found the offending mod or mods. Actually, even once you have found the offending mod or mods, it is better to see if there is an update, compatibility patch, setting to modify, or other workaround to try before uninstalling, due to the aforementioned reason.

No problem, Joe. I had several folks help me when I was new and had loads of questions, just paying it forward. :thumbsup:

Moving on, it looks like you are needing a compatibility patch with Smithing Overhaul. I'd start off by following that link BOSS provides for it and see if things improve. Also, make sure Smithing Overhaul, and Immersive Weapons are compatibile with Dragonborn (I know some mods have yet to update) and be sure you grabbed the correct version for Dragonborn. Also, try reading the comment section of those mods to see if anyone else has reported your issue and if it was resolved. I'm drawing attention to these 2 in particular, because to the best of my knowledge, they both modify weapon attributes.

Let me know if that helps your situation. A few other points that may not be related to your current issue, but are important nonetheless.

- It is *highly* recommended you clean your Bethseda ESM files with TES5edit (all except for Skyrim.esm, that one needs to be left alone). An in-depth tutorial on how to do this is given by Gopher, and can be found here:

- The Skyrim game engine is very sensitive to certain types of mods, which can lead to instability much quicker than others. Chief among those are mods that add large numbers spawn points to the game, games that modify specific scripts that Skyrim doesn't seem to like being toyed with, and games that are not updated to be compatible with the latest DLC and game patches.

For these reasons, I would consider dropping WarZones and SkyTEST on your next play through (they both add enormous numbers of spawn points, SkyTEST modifies a specific script concerning AI behavior that sometimes causes issues, and WarZones hasn't been updated in a very long time). Even though I have hardware that can easily handle both mods, I eventually removed them because the tend to accelerate save file entropy. However, don't get rid of them if you aren't planning on starting a new game, as that will result in orphaned scripts and can lead to even more problems. This is more just FYI for now.

Lastly, were there any unrecognized mods that appeared in a different section of the BOSS report? If so, please post those mods as well.

Ok, I've found the problem :) It was a no friendly fire mod (philnoFF) which was causing the issue, and I have uninstalled that, as I didn't really need it.

Cleaned up my esms with that video, too, thanks for that. Gopher's great, and I didn't even know those files might have needed cleaning :P

Thank you very much (for the final time) for your help on this issue, I wouldn't have found the problem without your aid :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've found the problem :smile: It was a no friendly fire mod (philnoFF) which was causing the issue, and I have uninstalled that, as I didn't really need it.

Cleaned up my esms with that video, too, thanks for that. Gopher's great, and I didn't even know those files might have needed cleaning :P

Thank you very much (for the final time) for your help on this issue, I wouldn't have found the problem without your aid :biggrin:

So thats the mod that made my weapons go to zero, like my bow with 192 damage, it went 0 then back to normal then 0 randomly -.-, thanks to you its fixed :D

• 6 months later...