Constant, Random, CTD's Load order image inside.

lostami

I have not really had many mods in the past, Infact i tried my best to avoid mods with scripts if possible.
I had Horses for followers at one point but deleted that.
That is the only thing I can think of that had scripts in the bast, mostly I go through textures and meshs more then anything else.

EDIT: wait I did have one other mod, it was script heavy, DSpSoB
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17746

EDIT: I have decided to make a new game, not a reinstall mind you, just a new game.
So basically I have boiled it down to the mods that I really want, but of course will use better more stable mods that do the same things.
I'm worried about the named soulgems mod as that seems like it would be ripe for screwing things up, but I have a habit for collecting my enemies souls for display.

So lets just work from there, new game, old install, Default ini files, No saves, MO downloaded.

How do i get boss to work with MO anyway?

Edited by lostami

My advice C:\Documents and Settings\***YOU***\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves highlight all and delete!! Theres something not right, and to be honest is it really worth the hassle trying to save a 2 week charactor/save?!? Sounds like it's corrupted beyond repair.

Get the game stable with no mods 1st, has to be your No.1 priority.

I see several refferences to an old machine, dumb to some, not so to others, is your GPU driver upto date? PC maint goes a long way towards a stable inviroment for a game to run in. Once a week click start/programs/accessories/system tools/ disk cleanup (no need to alter any settings in the cleanup). Also a small program called CCleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner (free) is a great little tool, run the top 2 on the left side cleaner and registry - close. oh, while installing uncheck auto update, manually check once a week for updates. Nothing worse than something else starting up in the background while playing = insta crash

Start from scratch with a fresh install, deleting the above along with the ini prefs file, the game will generate a clean new ini file.

After installing the game along with the dlc, use TessEdit and clean them. Gopher has a really good video tutorial

easiest way to follow and take in is watch a bit, pause, do that step, then press play and watch the next step and so on. If you have all 3 dlc's then you'll need to clean all 4 esm's, they're ALL dirty. Some but not many mods are also dirty, you can clean them the same way that you do with the esm's. Boss will tell you which ones contain the dirty edits.

skse Version: 0.1.6.8 it seems is a must have, even if the mods you use dont require it, it's function in progressively cleaning obsolete scripts over time as you play cant be a bad thing at all. You'll need to get into the habbit of launching the game via a skse shortcut so it's running to get the benefit. So long as it's in the main skyrim file not the data file, it will launch the game normally and you wont notice it.

Edit: 1.6.9 is now avail, dont know if it still does the same thing cleaning up the scripts though http://skse.silverlock.org/

Your average fps is kinda low'ish http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/48 (for ATI/AMD) will help a small bit if they're relevent to your card.

By now fingers crossed you should have a stable game, and it's time to load a few more mods, try a couple at a time. Run Boss to help place in right order and flag any potential probs, start the game and head straight to where you get the ctd's and see what happens...

As to unrecognised mods in Boss, unless you learn more about load orders, unless it states in the mod description it does'nt matter where they're placed. Avoid unrecognised ones like the plague.

Hope at least some of this helps

Edited by SaintlyShadow

Just made a new character, with around 80% of my original mods, got rid of any that showed a lot of red in TES5Edit.
Ran all the way through the marsh (FPS dropped to 14 in that place lots of particle effects) came out the other end (jumped to 30) and march into solitude Noooo problems at all, nice clean steady FPS.

I think it's fixed for now, from now on i will have to be careful on what i get for my skyrim, and to always backup saves between any mods added, and clean and so on.
Thanks for your help, I'll let you know VIA PM if anything major happens and I still need help.

If you really want to test the stability of your load order and set up, there are two things you can do:

1) After the Helgan tutorial, run from Riverwood to Whiterun without saving. If you don't experience any CTDs, then run from Whiterun to another city, like Windhelm or maybe even Markarath. The 'running test' was something used by some Oblivion players to gauge the stability of the worldspace. It was recommend that the player run from one end of the world map to another. But given that Skyrim is a much bigger sandbox and even vanilla Skyrim can be expected to CTD once in a while, it's probably just enough to hit a few popular cities.

2) 'Stress the engine' test: go to a 'hot spot' where the game has to simultaneously render a lot of things. The Riften market is a good place for this, with densely packed AI's, fog, water reflections, and so on. Now run around and do things to try and deliberately crash your game--bump into NPCs, move in and out of different interior cells, go into god mode and start attacking NPCs and get them to chase you. If you can gets some spell battles going, even better. Do this for about least 10 minutes. If the worst you experience is some micro-freeze (which, given your system spec, will probably be inevitable), then you are ok. If you experience unplayable framerates, then you might consider lowering the graphic settings. This is also a good way to test and see if you are using too many mods with continually updating scripts.

I think I have already done #1, I'll try #2.
It's always good to make sure, Also I forgot to reinstall that framerate fix for the ATI cards, I was using it before the ENB I installed that one time (not using it right now mind you) overwrited it so I need to put that back.

Also how can I tell a if a mod will add an orphan script if uninstalled?

Also how can I tell a if a mod will add an orphan script if uninstalled?

It'll spam your papyrus log after you uninstall it. Basically, any mod with custom scripts will leave something behind that can't be completely cleaned from your save games. Edited by ripple

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a new PC a nice 1000$ one (custom build) should relieve the hi-rez texture issues.

So any custom script? Even ones that just make some armor crafteble?

Or are there specific types that are more... spammy or something like that?

(Yes i just kicked my own dead horse and expected a reply ^^)

Edited by lostami