Random Crashes and freezes started yesterday

Sardonnicus

I usually recommend that users not edit ini files except for tweaks like increasing number of autosaves or turning on the papyrus logs when they are bug/issue tracking, unless their system spec is below minimum requirements and they need to play with ini settings just to get playable framerates. Most ini tweaks from those popular 'Skyrim ini tweak guides' online aim to improve game performance but at the expense of game stability. So if you don't have framerate problems, I recommend you stick to stock ini settings generated with the reinstallation.

The other thing you need to know is that MO actually makes copies of the ini files from the '/my documents/my games/....' for each profile you have in MO, and puts the copies under the 'ModOrganizer/Profiles/...' directory. This means that if you do want to edit the ini files, you should no longer edit them manually at the default game location at '/my documents/...', but instead use MO's ini editor to edit the ini files associated with your MO profile, because those are the ini settings that will take effect when you launch the game through MO. The idea is that since MO makes copies of ini files for each profile for you to edit, you will always have base game ini files that are unedited, should you need to go back to them.

Edited by ripple

OK. I got a fresh version of Skyrim installed. MO installed and BOSS, TESedit, and SKRE installed through MO.

I have started to install my mods via the MO program.

So far things are working great. There are almost zero conflicts.

Now here is a question.

I installed the "distant decal fix" mod and the "unofficial skyrim patch" mod. The MO program says that there are 2 files in "distant decal fix" that are being overwritten by "unofficial skyrim patch" and are showing as conflicts. How do I correct this? BOSS has set the order correctly I think, but these 2 files are still showing as a conflict. the "DDF" mod is nothing but textures and meshes with the "USP" mod has an activatable ESP file. How do I tell MO to get these 2 files in the right order, or into the right mod?

Screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/EMlkJdN.jpg

Ok. So I am still getting some conflicts between all the unofficial expansion patch mods and the unofficial skyrim patch mod.

Here is a cut and paste from BOSS...

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active

Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Active

Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Active
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp Active

Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}

WetandCold.esp Active
WetandCold - Ashes.esp Active
Cloaks.esp Active
1nivWICCloaks.esp Active

Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev}}

What are these messages: Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}

Does that have something to do with Wyre Bash? Will Wyre Bash help these mods get along? BOSS has put these mods in an appropriate order, but there is still an overwriting conflict with a few of the files.

http://i.imgur.com/b07YXuL.jpg

It's fine. Conflicts between the unofficial patches are normal. Keep in mind that the USKP is designed for users without DLCs, so the unofficial DLC patches would make edits to accommodate those who do have the DLCs (scrip fixes, etc.). Just make sure their 'installation order' is the same as the load order of their plugins. Edited by ripple

It's fine. Conflicts between the unofficial patches are normal. Keep in mind that the USKP is designed for users without DLCs, so the unofficial DLC patches would make edits to accommodate those who do have the DLCs (scrip fixes, etc.). Just make sure their 'installation order' is the same as the load order of their plugins.

Boss is doing a good job of putting everything in order. Everything seems to be 100% more ordered and there are no conflicts like before except the few mentioned above with the "unofficial patch mods" and then there are a few similar errors with the "book of silence" mods. I think the main "book of silence" mod overwrites or contains a few files that are found in "book of silence steel weapons" addon and "book of silence iron weapons" addon.

amidian's 'Book of Silence' is a texture replacer so it will likely conflict with many texture replacer mods, even some USKP 'texture fixes.' It a widely popular mod that is still being updated, so it should be safe to put it low in the 'installation order' so it 'overwrites' conflicting textures. In cases of conflicts between different 'components' of the same mod, check the time of the update for these different 'components.' I think amidian's weapon retextures came after the main mod (he mentioned he would bundle them into one big package in the future), so they should probably go after the 'Book of Silence' in the 'installation order.' Edited by ripple

I think the main "book of silence" mod overwrites or contains a few

files that are found in "book of silence steel weapons" addon and "book

of silence iron weapons" addon.

only the steel arrows which were already in the last book, except this the weapons set is standalone.

@@

UPDATE:

Everything seems to be working great. I wasn't able to get my older saves working even with this new install. They would just freeze and lock up when I tried to travel from Skyrim to Solsteim and back. So I started a new character. I was toying with the idea of starting again and now I've finally done it.

Things run much better now that I am using MO to manage all the mods and the other utilities (BOSS/TES5Edit/SKSE). Big props to Ripple for his/her insight. Part of me wants to go back and play through FO3 and FONV with these utilities installed for a much better experience. My last time in New Vegas was pre any ENB release, so I might go back and check that out.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting thread... I appreciate the info you guys provided and it's getting me curious about Mod Organizer, I'll have to read up on it (to compare to NMM).

I wanted to let you know that I'm also experiencing something similar (where sometimes I can't load an outside cell from inside - Mostly Lakeview Manor or the Brotherhood).

I have a temporary fix when that happens. What I do is...

1) Restart the game from the desktop

2) Load *an old game that I know loads everytime -- AND that [bold]can[/bold] fast travel to my problem area*, (I use a save from the College and it works everytime)

3) I then fast travel to the area that hangs when I tried to exit Lakeview Manor on my problem save.

4) Once there, I load my problematic savegame I actually want to continue playing (usually I'm inside Lakeview Manor or the Brotherhood), and now, 99% of the time, when I go outside, it will load the exterior cell no problem.

Kinda convoluted, which is why I'm looking at solutions but it works -- I'll have to try MO to see if it fixes this issue -- BOSS has a few mods (2) it doesn't recognize, but even when I don't load them, the issue persists.

I have a feeling it's my .ini files (uGrid 7, and multitasking enabled mostly) that are screwed somehow.... tried playing around with it but no go yet. (they worked for 80+ hours which is why it gets confusing as to why it stops working suddenly. Could it be inventory related? I have a LOT of stuff in my inventory -- I use weightless mods to allow me to carry around tons of potions, ingredients, shards -- hmm time to go test this theory hehe)

Anyways, enjoy your new playthrough :)

Edited by _Melk_