Oblivion Crashes

DoctorFeuer

Hello Everyone,

I'm a bit frustrated with Oblivion right now. For whatever reason(s), whenever I go to launch Oblivion (through steam) I can get about halfway through the Bethesda logo before the game crashes. I have no idea why it has done this, but it seems to have started since I have started messing around with the Nexus Mod Manager. I had previously used the Oblivion Mod Manager (I know that it causes problems, so that's why I switched). I uninstalled Oblivion to clear all the mods from the OMM, and then uninstalled OMM itself, but it hasn't solved the problem. I have since uninstalled and reinstalled Oblivion as well, also to no success. I have disabled and uninstalled all the mods that I had added to the NMM (I added them before testing the game for crashes). If anyone has any solutions or advice on how to fix this, I would be much obliged.

My specs are :

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD A4-3420
RAM
8.00 GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Graphics
HP S2031 (1600x900@60Hz)
1023MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA)
If there is any other information that you need, I would be more than happy to supply it (if I can).
Thanks.

It seldom works out when trying to get the game to work after installing a whole bunch of mods in one fell swoop. In your case you made the second most common mistake in recent times (since NMM came out) ... you used NMM to install mods for Oblivion. There are plenty of mods that will install just fine with NMM. There are also plenty of mods that will only install with NMM after you have extracted the download to a temporary folder, selected the files and folders from the optional ones you want and reorganized the extracted files and folders into a format that NMM can recognize (which coincidentally will be the folder structure that the game would need for manual installation).

Now if you had installed one mod at a time using NMM you'd be able to tell us which mods in your load order work well with NMM and which ones to use either manual or OBMM to install. I always say, installing one mod at a time makes troubleshooting a trivial affair.

I figured out what the problem was by looking around a bit more. I had to end up editing the Oblivion.ini file and then transferring the data over to the one in documents. After that, the mods had to be re downloaded and reordered, plus they had to be updated. Anyway, thanks for the help Striker.

Ah ... you do realize the one in your game's Oblivion folder named Oblivion_default.ini shouldn't be edited. That's the file that the game uses to build your first Oblivion.ini and then rebuild Oblivion.ini if you ever need to start out fresh. The file Oblivion.ini (without the _default) part is located in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion for Vista and Win 7 or in Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion for Win XP.

Good that you got it sorted out anyway. Did NMM manage all your mods or did you need to use OBMM or manual install for some?

Once mods are installed and activated the game uses a text file file for load order (I'm not at my gaming machine so I can't get the name of the file right now). It uses that file to decide which ESP/ESM to load next as the game starts.

Generally I use OBMM only for mods that come as an OMOD file (and even then generally only if they have an install script to sort through the install options, otherwise I extract the OMOD and manually install). I'm an old school manual install type for everything else. It would be entirely possible to use manual install, OBMM, NMM and Wrye Bash's BAIN to install different mods (note I'm not suggesting this as a great idea, just a possibility).

It's best to use whichever method you are most comfortable with, with the caveat that NMM will not be able to install some mods. If you look through a mods recent comments you'll often get a good idea whether or not NMM will be able to install a mod (plenty of folks doing your 'research' for you and asking for help in the comments). By getting familiar with two or three installing methods you'll be able to install any mod.