Can't Find Mod for Slower Leveling→More Skills Required

UsenameTaken

Hi!

I'm looking for a mod that sets or allows one to set the number of major skill ups required to have a level up. I see many mods that affect the rate of skill ups, but can't find any to just let me level up every 15 or 20 skill ups instead of every 10.

Anyone seen this sort of mod? Thanks!

Realistic Leveling has ini setting that can be used to achieve that. If you edit the RealisticLeveling.ini settings 'set aaRealisticLeveling.mode to 3' and ';setGS iLevelUpSkillCount 10' (the default values) to 'set aaRealisticLeveling.mode to 1' and 'setGS iLevelUpSkillCount 20' you'll be using the default game leveling system and only advancing your level every 20 skill advances. Note the caveat in that section of the ini about referring to the Readme for details on other settings that may need adjusting. Edited by Striker879

Thanks!
I happen to use Realistic Leveling already, but for some reason it doesn't see changes to the ini file, I have to go by the defaults. I'll try it again.
I had spotted that parameter to set, and I tried it too with no luck.

[EDIT: Sorry, Making edits, lost original text] you may have read]

Do you know if the ini should be in the same folder, Data, as the esm file? Sometimes the ini goes in a subfolder. Right now, changes to the ini are ignored in my use of Realistic Leveling.

Thanks for help and suggestions! I like RL mod a lot, I just wish I could customize the ini with success.

Edited by UsenameTaken

OK I'll start with a full disclosure ... I don't use Realistic Leveling. I've been following the mod for a while now as I intend to start using this mod along with a number of other realism mods on my next playthrough.

With that detail out of the way I believe that the file RealisticLeveling.ini should be located in Oblivion\Data (based on what I see in the files info.txt and script.txt found in the 'omod conversion data' folder of the extracted download). Changing the first value (set aaRealisticLeveling.mode) can also be done by rerunning the omod script (deactivate the mod in OBMM and then reactivate it).

If you are editing RealisticLeveling.ini using Notepad and the changes aren't sticking when you save I wonder if you are running afoul of UAC? Is your game installed in the default location C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files? Also note that the change to the second value (setGS iLevelUpSkillCount) will require you to 'uncomment-out' that line ... you need to remove the semi-colon ( ; ) in front of the line as well as change the value to 20 or 15 (whichever you prefer).

Edited by Striker879

Yeah, you are right, the docs do indicate that the ini file goes in Data. Full disclosure, I didn't uncomment that line! Your tip seems to have worked, I haven't actually leveled up yet, but my display now says 55% to level 3 so I think the "20" must be working. Not sure that is how many I want actually. Anyway, that part is working, maybe the whole ini works, just not how I expected it to. Good eye on the commented line, thanks again!

You should give Realistic Leveling a try! You still need to either slow down levels, micro manage minors, or choose off majors to avoid over-leveling. But every skill up contributes to attributes, none are wasted so you don't have to avoid doing things because you want that skill up later.

Oh be assured, the reason I knew anything about Realistic Leveling is because I've been studying it fairly closely. My new guy is my second playthrough. It will also be my last playthrough with the default leveling system. I will probably try the default system offered by RL on my next character so I'll have a baseline on what it offers vs the vanilla system. I like the idea of paying attention to your skills and planning your character buildup ... I just don't care for the type of micromanaging that the vanilla system entails (spamming restore health or detect life to skill up Restoration or Mysticism for example). And I'll also be using a quest reward leveler of some sort ('waiting' to level up for quest rewards before doing a quest has become tiring).