Oblivion modding question

35NEXT99

That seems to be happening sometimes when you edit a post. They are aware of the problem.

Many newer mods require Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE). Read the mod description and if it needs OBSE it should tell you in the mod requirements section. Wrye Bash is being updated regularly again ... if the latest version isn't stable it will be marked as beta.

When you have a stable build and the game is working well with your mods make a backup. Copy the entire data folder to a safe place. If you have plenty of hard drive space make copies of the ini files and save games also.

You can start doing this after adding just a few mods. Stagger backups, don't just overwrite the latest one. Have one that is the latest and at least one earlier copy in case this latest one has problems that you didn't know about. I have several data backups available to fall back on.

Striker879: Alpha is first version. Beta is second version.

bben46: Backups. DUH :blink: :wallbash: . I should have known that already.

I will try again and see what happens THIS time. Reporting after tests.

Edited by 35NEXT99

I know that. When you download Wrye Bash from the Oblivion Nexus site you can select either the latest stable or a pre-alpha release of the latest version (no beta version available on the Nexus site at the moment). If you have been following along or have read the recent comments you'll see some of the latest issues with the stable version. Alpha or pre-alpha versions aren't recommended for your primary install.

I use Multiple Oblivion Manager (MOM) to keep my different character's installs separate. You can also set up a testing install for trying out mods or things like the pre-alpha release of WB.

Edited by Striker879

Can I use these mods together. I think one of them crashed my previous install

My mods in previous install were:

Better Horse sounds

Cobl 172-21104 (Common Oblivion Objects. This is needed by many mods)

Ride Wild horses and more horses

Ziras Mega Horse Pack

Oblivion unofficial patches

After those unofficial patch installs my game crashed. Cobl mod had something to do with it also.

Edited by 35NEXT99

No responses yet. Somebody please help me.

Do I need COBL and OBSE or just one of them?

There is also that load order in mods. Do I need to alter that also?

Edited by 35NEXT99

Not sure, don't use horses at all. Good advice though is to download and run BOSS (Better Oblivion Sorting Software) to get them in your mods in the right order. It has a database that is frequently updated and has several thousand mods in it. I have a roughly 150 mod Oblivion install and I never crash. BOSS identifies all but four of them and I manually have to place them in the right area of my load order among similar types of mods. To that end you need the other program I'm gonna tell you about. You want to use BOSS to set your load order to prevent mistakes and thus reduce crashing and a game that fais to launch.

The other mandatory tool you need is Wrye Bash. I recommend the 295.5 version of it. The newer versions I think were taken over by a different person and are buggy and have headaches attached to them. Learn Wrye, wont take long and you're gonna make what is called a Bashed Patch. More or less it takes all your installed mods and automagically makes them play nice with each other. It will add an ESP called Bash Patch to your load order, it goes dead last. Between the two you can run more or less whatever mod you think is for you and rest easy that you won't screw the pooch with your game again. BOSS for getting your mods in the right load order, Wrye for making them all play nice with each other.

Later