Can't Leave Markarth

AH1

My CPU never really goes up much either, but I have process explorer open to monitor RAM and CPU usage when diagnosing issues with Skyrim. I've never had an issue like this before in Skyrim, as it partially loads for about 2-4 seconds then locks up, with the RAM staying steady instead of increasing like it normally would. Then the Papyrus log serves no use as there's no issue logged aside from Wet and Cold things that I've determined is not the issue. Posting another thread would just divide up any solutions we might find, and other people would post their mod list on one of them and not the other, so we couldn't compare mods.

Edited by kenchixp

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is odd, kenchixp, I also didn't notice the issue until recently. In fact, I'd been to Markarth to do some quests the day before (real world time) this all started and nothing was wrong.

Although you'd be best off making your own thread, I'm curious to see if we use any of the same mods. However, my CPU usage never goes about 16% when playing Skyrim. I don't notice a huge increase when this occurs.

Maybe I missed it, but did you ever get back to me about whether you made edits to the game ini files in the past?

Also, have you tried disabling the HD texture mods to see if you can leave Markarth without the infinite loading screen?

Hi ripple,

I got back to you about the ini thing in post #14, but to rehash: The only ini edits I've made to the skyrim.ini file are to enable Papyrus logging and the necessary imaxgrasstextures=6 needed for SFO.

I'll get back to you on the textures part.

Edited by AH1

So I've been investigating the cause for my problem, which is the same "can't leave Markarth..." issue everyone posting here seems to be having. Took me a couple hours playing around with my mods with limited success to figure out what was happening in my game. At first I thought it was a follower bug because when I had disabled my custom follower I was able to leave. Tested by hiring the fellow in the Silverblood Inn and "BAM" froze again. But I was only really able to get through with other mods disabled as well, and I just felt that the results I was getting through trial and error were inconsistent. So, I gave up and set my load order back up, and I was just going to COC out and reload and whatever else. Then I see it.... some mod I have installed (really no idea at this point) has placed this tiny crystal at the foot of the exit from Markarth. I examine it and it toggles "open" and "close" teleport. "Huh. That's weird." I tell myself. So I open this unknown crystal and proceed to go through the door. Miracles and rainbows shoot out from my computer as the Markarth stables render on my TV.

Hopefully everyone who is experiencing this trouble in Markarth and other cities finds this TL;DR post helpful. Don't know what mod it is that has added this/these crystals, and I have no idea if other cities have them because I haven't checked yet. I just wanted to get word out of a possible solution to everyone here in case it could save some headaches.

I am almost 100% certain I do not have such a mod. Also, just disabling mods doesn't necessarily render them inert since Skyrm has scripts "baked" into the save game instead of as a seperate thing that can be easily disabled.

After some meticulous digging, I found a fix for my issue. It turns out this is an LOD loading issue, try adding this under [Maps] in your Skyrim.ini and have it set up like so

[Maps]

uLockedObjectMapLOD=8

uLockedTerrainLOD=16

Adding this fixed my problem instantly. If you don't have a [Maps] just add it at the bottom

Edited by kenchixp

Solved the problem by removing the LOD file for trees from Data/textures/terrain/tamriel/trees/tamrieltreelod.dds (it's from Skyrim Flora Overhaul). If this is the case for everyone, please inform Vurt in his thread about it.

Solved the problem by removing the LOD file for trees from Data/textures/terrain/tamriel/trees/tamrieltreelod.dds (it's from Skyrim Flora Overhaul). If this is the case for everyone, please inform Vurt in his thread about it.

Yep, that was it! MSG Vurt for a patch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!