Leveling past the level cap

nekoceko

Hello,

I'm appereantly, for some reason, levelling up past the level cap. I have two DLCs installed (Dead Money and Honest Hearts), which would make the level cap 40. However, I am currently level 41 and I keep gaining more XP. My game is updated (I'm playing the Steam version). I don't have any mods that should interfere with this sort of thing.

Anyone knows what's the problem and how to fix it? I really don't want this to make my game imbalanced etc. I have the other 2 DLCs, but they are not installed/activated.

Just tell me how to replicate it cos that would be great XD

No idea really, see if it stops at 45, never heard of it tuil now.

So, I tried using the console command (player.setlevel) to see how long until I hit the cap. First I put the level at 100, and then checked my pip boy which said that my XP is "max". So, I tried putting it to 49, then it said I could still level. When I put it at 50 it said it was "max". So, I'm my cap is 50 even though I don't got the expansions installed yet. The xp system seems to think that I do. Is it a problem to use the same command and reset it to 40 every time I'm about to level up, until I get to the DLCs (so I don't miss out on new perks etc.). Will that break my game?

The other DLCs MAY have activated themselves automagically. If you've bought them, steam has downloaded and installed them, along with autoload files called NAM files. Check for their presence in your data directory.

Also, are you running any other mods? Project Nevada, for example, bumps the level cap to 50.

Well, the DLCs did actually activate when I started the playthrough (ages ago), and I couldn't deactivate them using the data files manager (they kept activating even though I unchecked them). So I deleted the .NAM files of the DLCs, and then when I want to activate a DLC I just let Steam verify integrity (which redownloads them) and again delete the ones I don't want to start yet.

I don't think I have any mods that mess with this. I only got minor mods. Thes are all the mods I got running:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35414

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/34715

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/39616

Also, I got Gun Runners' Arsenal.

So, could using the player.setlevel break my game in anyway?

Thanks for the replies.

If they originally activated as you describe, and you saved before you managed to make them deactivate, the level cap increase is probably integrated to your game save.

AFAIK, setlevel has no quest/game repercussions beyond the obvious. But I make no promises.

You may want to find that mod that delays the starting of each DLC. Idk where it is, just google it. You should have all the DLCs there anyway for your mods sake :)