NMM problem.

wfandrews

I am giving this a shot here although I doubt anything will come of it but i have exhausted every other option I could think of. Even tried github but I had to keep signing in and whenever I got to the forum page I needed and tried to post I was told to sign in, I would go to the sign in page, signed in did the captcha, was told ok, went back to the forum page, tried to post and was told to sign in.

Anyway here is my problem.

Whenever I install a mod that does not have a plugin when I exit FNV it is uninstalled. When I install Antera's Many Fixes it stays installed as it is a plugin, when I install Anters's Many Fixes NMC patch it is uninstalled. MTUI is ununstalled when I close NMM as is Johnny Guitar, JIP LN NVSE Plugin, NMC Texture Pack you get the picture. This only happens in FNV. When it first started happening I was using the GOG version of FNV, so I uninstalled that and installed the Steam version hoping it would make a difference but it did not.

I can install most of the stabilizing mods for FNV manually but I really do not want to install NMC's Texture Pack manually and I would rather not play without it.

I tried that FNV Diagnortics but all it did was tell me that a bunch of those stabilizing mods were missing which all have to do with game playing and nothing to do with my problem Except for the two libvorbis.dll files which it said were outdated so I downloaded and installed the ones in the mod manually which made no difference.

If anyone has an idea of how to solve my problem or even where to go to solve my problem I would be very grateful. As it is FNV is unplayable at the moment for me.

If the mod doesn't have an .esm or .esp, how do you know that it wasn't installed?

Anyway, since there is no .esm or .esp, couldn't you just install the files manually?

Did you toggle Archive Invalidation after you installed the mods?

I wouldn't trust a mod manager to install NVSE plugins correctly. Or any of the other mods, since there is no .esm or .esp.

Edited by M48A5

Whenever I install a mod that does not have a plugin when I exit FNV it is uninstalled.

That sounds to me as if you are using a "empty Data folder" mod manager like NMM, MO, MO2, or Vortex. NMC is not the same type of "mod" as NVSE plugins. NMC is a set of replacement VWD/LOD files which are more like the "overwrites" of mesh/texture files. (NVSE plugins are "DLL" files that get called only when some typical mod requires them and only remain in memory as long as needed, which is why they are called "dynamic".)

VWD/LOD files not only need to be installed, but they also have to be integrated into the game's background environment. There are not something you should be removing at the end of a game session. If you add (or remove) any VWD/LOD textures (such as NMC, Vurt's WFO, or Ojo Bueno) from your "load order", please see the 'Checklist Item #15 & 16' entries in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide regarding the need to run both TES4LL and FNVLODGen; or xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL. Also recommend you read the 'LOD/VWD Texture Packs' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article first.

In short, NMC should be installed as something your mod manager considers to be "permanent/common" (like the base game and DLCs) to all "profiles". Manual installation may be required.

I agree that NVSE plugins tend to not get installed properly by "empty Data folder" mod managers. They are similar to VWD/LOD files in that they should be considered more like "permanent/common" files and installed as the mod manager documents for such, or manually.

-Dubious-

Thank you for your replies.

M48A5-You just look in Data/nvse/plugins where the dll and ini files are installed.

I fixed the problem although I still have no idea what caused it, I suspect TTW.

I thought it was something other than NMM itself because I had installed an earlier version and nothing changed.What I failed to take into account is that I had not uninstalled the previous version before installing the older one. When NMM updates it just installs the update on top of the old version so you keep everything. After I had completely removed NMM with Revo Uninstaller, a great tool by the way, and then installed the same version of NMM I was using before I had no more problems.

Dubious-I did notice with NMC's texture pack that after installing it I had a green check mark when I quit and opened NMM again I had a red circle slash beside the files which is what happened with all my files that I had installed that did not have a plugin. However when I reinstalled NMC the file installed in seconds instead of the minutes it takes to install those files originally. I believe that was because those files were still there and instead of reinstalling them it just pointed to where they were. That is just a guess on my part and you would know better than i would. Regardless, after I was sure NMM was working properly again I deleted those files which were affected and downloaded them from their Nexus pages again just to be safe.

Always helpful to hear how someone resolved their problem. Thanks for reporting back.

I don't use any of the new "empty Data folder" mod managers myself, so things like "green checkmarks" and such are something I have to interpret. But it sounds to me as if your conclusions are correct. Regardless ... can't argue with success.

I do just want to reinforce that "VWD/LOD" file replacement installation is only the first step. Those files must then be processed by other tools like TES4LL and FNVLODGen to be incorporated into the "landscape quads" used by the game engine into folder locations documented on the FNVLODGen description page under "How LOD works in Fallout: New Vegas". I do not know if NMM automatically performs that operation, but highly doubt it if not checking for and requiring you to install such tools. In which case, you are still not yet seeing the intended effect of such mod file replacements after re-downloading them.

-Dubious-

TCM's (or any other) "LOD Overhaul" is a set of the "end result" files from either the GECK or the author's rebuild using FNVLODGen (or similar). Better than "nothing" but that means the "quads" are specific to that "load order". You want to rebuild them anyway, so the quads are rebuilt to work with YOUR mix of such VWD/LOD files. If you are getting "pop-in" of distant objects and structures, that is a solid indication that you do not have a rebuilt set of quads specific to your setup or are missing those files.

-Dubious-