Incorrect paths to a plugin

Anoxeron

I recently created a small mod and tried to test it an another pc. It didn't work because the plugin is looking for the pathways upon which it was created. I installed Nifskope on said computer then redid the paths and everthing works great. But that would render the plugin useless to anyone unfamiliar with Nifskope. I'd rather not release it as a modders rescource so any input or ideas would be GREATLY APPRECATED !!!

Anoxeron - Hello!

Do you mean just the texture paths in your meshes are messed up on the other computer?

If so, do they look something like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Data\Textures\projectiles\Shells.dds

Because if so that's your problem.

That path would be reliant on Fallout 3 being installed in that one location & only there.

You need to use only "Virtual paths", your .nif should point to textures thus:

Textures\projectiles\Shells.dds

Both those paths point to the same texture but the last one will work with any installation of Fallout 3.

Nifskope should automatically skip the stuff before Textures when you navigate to your texture but you need to set that up first.

In Nifskope go to Render - Settings & click on the "Rendering" tab. In there click on "Auto Detect Game Paths" & Nifskope should detect all compatible game's.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

Really appreciate the quick response !! Yes very much like that. In this case it didn't see the nif either. I run apps on my main drive and games on a secondary . I'll do what You suggest and again - MUCH THANKS !!! :smile:

Edited by Anoxeron

Anoxeron - Hello!

I've reposted a version of my reply to your PM here as it may help others:

"do I need to re-edit the or change the plugin for it to work ?"

No, your plugin should be fine.

As long as the plugin is working in game & it's only the textures not showing up.

"Even after I used autodetect it displays the path but still presents it as F:/Games/Fallout 3/Data/Textures/Vehicles/(My files) in Nifskope. "

The path displayed in the Settings - Rendering will show your specific path with the full Drive, Games & Fallout folder, any path in the actual model (in BSShaderTextureSet) should show as a a simplified path:

textures\projectiles\Shells.dds

Yes, sadly doing autodetect will only help when you navigate to textures from now on.

It won't fix previously set textures so all your models that you've added new textures to will need to be fixed.

For example, you need to change a path like:

F:\Games\Fallout 3\Data\textures\projectiles\Shells.dds

By deleting the first bit up to textures, thus:

textures\projectiles\Shells.dds

That's with no / at the begining either just start with textures.

You need to change all textures in each mesh like diffuse & normals (_n) & any other ones set in there.

If you've only got a few meshes to change, I'd recommend doing so by hand. All you have to do is click on the paths in the meshes & delete that first bit.

Or click on the purple flower to navigate to them again, with the autodetect done you should now see Nifskope set the path with on textures/ at the begining.

Early on, when I first started retexturing, I'd made the mistake of not clicking on the Auto Detect in Nifskope too. Ended up with a dozen or so models with that overly specific path that had to be changed. :)

There are tools to batch change a lot of .nif's all at once but they are mostly command line type things & I've never really figured them out properly. :)

I'll give you the link in case you're interested:

Automatic-Nif-Changer by _DICE_

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/35503

Texture Replacer by JOG

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/2156

NifTextures by Macoron

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19266

As I say, I've never mastered them but then I only ever had a handful of incorrectly pathed meshes to edit so by hand was easiest for me.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Prensa, You ROCK !!! I can see how it would be a royal pain if I had gotten to the end of a more complex endevour and discovered this unbelievably simple mistake !!! Fortunately this is a rather simple mod and was Very easy to correct. The funny part is that I've been staring at the simplified paths and never gave it a second thought simply because it worked. I combined two very excellent mods for Oblivion and stupidly offered it before I understood pathing (navmesh in Fallout) and didn't want to make that mistake again. After correcting the mistake I never re-released it because at the time I wasn't sure if it would encroach upon others Excellent work. I haven't tested this yet but now I KNOW it will work !!! I LOVE the way that You answered my questions in such an orderly fashion and made it very easy to understand. Again - THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!! :dance: